Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed new computer having a few minor glitches

• Please log in to reply

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi, trying to connect to internet with verizon dsl on new computer.

I have a biostar motherboard 754 socket.

Verizon cd won't install becuase says I do not have a network interface car (NIC). I thought this is built into newer motherboards?

Do I have to buy a NIC?

Why won't http://192.168.1.1 work or do I have to create a network place 1st?

Also do I need to install all the video drivers for the graphics card that came with the computer?

Edited by Alantnyk222, 13 March 2006 - 08:18 PM.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello Alantnyk222,

Before I make any suggestions, I'd like to collect some info about your computer:

Download and run WinAudit. Save the audit to your desktop. This will save three files. Take all three files and put them into a single zip (compressed) folder. Name the folder WinAudit. In order to protect the safety of your computer, do NOT attach the folder to a post here. Take that folder and send it to me through a PM (Private Message) instead, that way it is not available to the public.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 13 March 2006 - 08:25 PM.

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I can't connect to internet to download that program. Verizon says I need a NIC card, maybe I ill borrow the one from my old computer - that way a local area network will be created so maybethen I can connect?

Is it strange that I can't connect to DSL without NIC and network card in motherboard doesn't work with verison modems.

Mikail

Mikail

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi...
Can you give me the model of your biostar board?
Also try checking the back panel of your cpu see if there is a socket for RJ45 (this is where the cable from the dsl connects)
If there is such socket on the back try checking your device manager (start/control panel/system..click the HARDWARE tab then click device manager) see if there is a question mark besides one of the components.

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi, thanks for replies, all this was a bit over my head so I took a short cut. I pulled the NIC card from my old computer and took my old hardrive (ATA) as a slave (eventhough my master HD is now a SATA drive).

I don't know if having NIC card or old hardrive connected - which did the trick but I was able to connect to the internet....how ? I don't know.

Was fun building a computer but not sure if I will do again so fast.

ppreciate all the help on these boards!!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i wold say that it was the nic card as the HD would have absolutely no bearing on this issue...all the problems you were listing (and the help that was being offered) pointed to you not having a NIC in the computer...