Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

windows not recognizing memory

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have an Abit BE6 motherboard, with 3 memory slots, each capable of 256M of RAM. I currently have a 256M card in slot 1 and a 128M card in slot 2. But during the bootup memory test, only 262M is recognized. In fact, after buying a new 256M card and putting it in slot 3, and then moving the cards around trying various configurations, I realize that my pc is only recognizing 128M per slot. I have since returned the extra memory card to the store, and am now back to 256M in slot 1 and 128M in slot 2.

Can anyone help me? I can provide memory part numbers, bios setup information, etc. I would like to upgrade to 768M eventually.

Running win98se.

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
According to the Abit website your board should recoginize up to 768mb of memory. The only bios upgrade i could find was the BE6 II V2.0 which i do not know if it will work on a BE6.

That is the problem with older hardware. It seems that all the upgrades disappear off the net after a while.