Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Urgent help with Linksys wired router

• Please log in to reply

j123jam

j123jam

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have a Linksys BFSR41 v2 that connects out cable modem (service is Comcast) to our multiple computers. For years it has worked fine. Now it is causing the network to become very slow. Using online speed tests I can get close to 10mbps with the computer directly connected to the modem, but with the router in place everything becomes exremely slow, as low as 14kbps. Comcast said to contact Linksys, who told us to upgrade the firmware for the router and then change the MTU setting to 1300 and see if it helped. It didn't. I temporarily took a router I have for another location and plugged it in (it's a netgear), and it works fine. But I really want to use the old router so I can put the new one in my other location. Any ideas what to do? I have tried the basics like reatoring factory default settings. Could the router just be broken? Thanks so much in advance.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I have a Linksys BFSR41 v2 that connects out cable modem (service is Comcast) to our multiple computers. For years it has worked fine. Now it is causing the network to become very slow. Using online speed tests I can get close to 10mbps with the computer directly connected to the modem, but with the router in place everything becomes exremely slow, as low as 14kbps. Comcast said to contact Linksys, who told us to upgrade the firmware for the router and then change the MTU setting to 1300 and see if it helped. It didn't. I temporarily took a router I have for another location and plugged it in (it's a netgear), and it works fine. But I really want to use the old router so I can put the new one in my other location. Any ideas what to do? I have tried the basics like reatoring factory default settings. Could the router just be broken? Thanks so much in advance.

Sounds like a problem with the router itself since you said you tried another one and it was fine.

Are you getting the slow connection to just one of the pc's on the network or all of the pc's on the network??

It does sound like the router is at fault but it wont hurt to go in the linksys router config page and take a look in there to see if anything is set wrong.

j123jam

j123jam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have checked all the settings and everything looks fine. This happens with all PCs on the network.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you already updated the firmware then there is really nothing else to do.. If that didnt fix it then something must be wrong with the router.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
FYI, a friend had a router which was working fine and then one day it stopped working correctly. It turned out that the cable company made a change which was not compatible with the router so it would work for a bit and then stop. For all practical purposes this means the router is the problem, but it also means that someone else might be able to use it so don't just assume it is trash.

Have you tried the linksys couter where you got the netgear router from? Swapping might work if the service is different.

j123jam

j123jam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
That was a good idea, swapping the two routers, but unfortunately the Linksys is wired only, which is why I wanted the wireless netgear one in the other location where I need wireless. Thanks for all the replies!

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Well, you can still try swapping the routers as a test to see if it is slow in the other location. It might not work if the service is the same, but then again the modem would be different. If you swap it and it works properly then you will know that the router is good, even if it does not work where you need it to work.