Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windowsXP: slow shutdown

• Please log in to reply

Jezza

Jezza

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ever since I repaired my windowsXP it's had an extremely slow shutdown. When I go start->turn of computer, it hangs for ages, and sometimes gives me an error and does nothing. This means i end up having to use the shutdown through ctrl+alt+del.

After shuting down, it pretty rapidly saves settings and whatnot, and then says shutting down computer, and hangs here for a good 3+ minutes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Shutdown problems in Windows XP can be caused by many factors, just like earlier versions of Windows. These included: a damaged exit sound file; incorrectly configured, damaged, or incompatible hardware; conflicting programs, or an incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device driver.

Go into control panel>sounds and make sure your not using a 'shutdown' sound. Update all of your drivers. Do you use Roxio software? I'll have to search but I think I recall that older versions of Roxio software can cause shutdown problems.....

Have you tried a shutdown in safe mode? If not give it a try.

Edited by macten, 14 March 2006 - 02:15 AM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Here's a link indicating that it could be a problem clearing out the pagefile:

http://windowsxp.mvp...lowshutdown.htm

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It's only started happening after repairing windows using the method on this forum. Nothing new has been added that wasn't already on/in the system before the repair.

On another similar topic, it puts my computer into a chkdsk thing on c drive, and it goes though everytime and completes up to the part where it has to reboot. Then it just stops doing anything. I've left it for hours and it doesn't reboot.

If I manually reboot, it startsup fine, but automatically reschedules another chkdsk. So it always is trying and failing to perform this chkdsk.

Any suggestions?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I would run chkdsk from the recovery console. Boot from your xp disk and select 'R' to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console. Type 'chkdsk /R' and hit enter. Hopefully it will run to completion and not bother you again. Then we can deal with the slow shutdown problem......

edit.....I've seen chkdsk hang for as long as 50 minutes. So if it looks like it's hung up, I would give it a couple of hours before canceling......

Edited by macten, 14 March 2006 - 12:36 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If your computer is still slow after doing chkdsk /r, which it most likely will be, please download and run hijackthis. Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 14 March 2006 - 11:57 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Jezza...

Let's check for something...

Click Start, then Run, bring up a command prompt by typing cmd in the Open box, and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type fsutil dirty query c: and press "Enter". Does the drive show as "Dirty"?

wannabe1

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi wannabe1,

It tells me the drive is dirty.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Well get some soap and water and clean it. :tazz:

Just kidding. This should solve your problem:

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r c: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
  • Restart your computer
This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query c:, press "Enter", and Windows should confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 14 March 2006 - 05:32 PM.

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok, I cannot finish the CHKDSK. Tried it twice, and it gets to:

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)
Correcting error in index %I30 for file 9776

and it hangs here. I left it on for 4 hours and it didn't do anything. Please help.

Also I cannot log into safe mode. I get to the part where it is loading all the drivers and stuff, but it gets to Mup.sys and then the comp restarts itself. This happens every time without fail.

Edited by Jezza, 15 March 2006 - 01:57 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's reset the chkdsk defaults and try it...some of this will seem redundant, but please bear with me and follow all of the following instructions:
  • If you have Spyware Doctor installed, uninstall it.
  • If you have ZoneAlarm installed, open it, click the "Overview" tab, then select "Preferences", and UNcheck the "Protect ZA Client" check box.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Please note the spaces in the following commands.)
  • chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default)
  • chkntfs /c C: ..... (This will allow checking drive C:)
  • fsutil dirty query c: ..... (This queries the drive and will most likely tell you that it is dirty)
  • chkntfs /x c: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r c: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query c:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Now reboot again and see if chkdsk still runs on bootup.

wannabe1

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I did :
# chkntfs /d
# chkntfs /c C:
# fsutil dirty query c:
# chkntfs /x c:

and it said it was dirty, and it also allowed me to startup without chkdsk running. Then I tried:

# chkdsk /f /r c:
# Y

and rebooted. It did the same thing as last time:

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)

It gets to around 2% before it says correcting error in index... and then it freezes. It stops doing anything, and I've left it hours before and it does nothing. The red LED that says it's doing something is always lit, but nothing happens.

I still cannot log in safe mode, so I cannot try it from that mode.

I cant seem to figure out how to attach my Hijackthis log, so I'll post it below:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:17:02 PM, on 15/03/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\MA111 Configuration Utility\wlancfg4.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\UPHClean\uphclean.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
G:\Backup\Protection Programs\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nod32kui] "C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: MA111 Configuration Utility.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with GetRight - C:\Program Files\GetRight\GRdownload.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open with GetRight Browser - C:\Program Files\GetRight\GRbrowse.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
O23 - Service: NOD32 Kernel Service (NOD32krn) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SONYSH~1\AVLib\Sptisrv.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp WinStyler Theme Service (TUWinStylerThemeSvc) - TuneUp Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2004\WinStylerThemeSvc.exe

Edited by Jezza, 15 March 2006 - 03:21 AM.

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'm starting to get some error messages now saying certain files are currupt and that i should run the Chkdsk utility.

This includes my browsers "history.dat". I use firefox, and everytime i open a page it puts up an annoying little error.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's get rid of some tempoorary files and see if we can get the chkdsk to run.

First we'll get rid of the history files from both IE and Firefox.
In Firefox: Click on "Tools" on the toolbar and select "Options". Click the "Privacy" icon. Under the "History" tab, click on the "Clear Browsing History Now" button. Under the "Cookies" tab, click on the "Clear Cookies Now" button, and click "Ok".

In Internet Explorer: Click on "Tools" on the toolbar and select "Internet Options". Under the "General" tab, click on the "Delete Cookies" button, the "Delete Files" button, and the "Clear History" button. Click "Apply" then "Ok".

Then clear the Prefetch folder.
Click Start, then Run, type prefetch, and click "OK'. Right click inside the folder that opens, choose "Select All", and press the "Delete" key.

Now try the chkdsk again.
Clcik Start, then Run, type cmd, and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type chkdsk /f /r, and press "Enter". Type Y to run this on the next reboot, and reboot.

Does chkdsk now complete?

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I tried what you said wannabe1, but it still gets stuck at that same spot. Is there another way to fix corrupt indexes apart from through CHKDSK?

Also, what should I do about not being able to load up in safe mode? It reboots itself loading the Mup.sys file.