Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windowsXP: slow shutdown

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Download CCleaner from http://www.snapfiles...t/ccleaner.html
  • Install it. Then start the program.
  • In the area designated as “Cleaner Settings”, Make sure the Windows tab is the selected tab.
  • Under the category of “Internet Explorer”, UNcheck all boxes except for the first two boxes (Temporary Internet Files and Cookies) and the box called Delete Index.dat files.
  • UNcheck the box next to the category called “Windows Explorer.”
  • Under the category of “System”, UNcheck Empty Recycle Bin.
  • At the top, click on the tab that says Applications.
  • UNcheck EVERYTHING! If there is a category called “Firefox”, then leave the Cookies option checked.
  • Now click on Analyze. When it is done analyzing (it could take several minutes since this is your first time using ccleaner), click on Run Cleaner.
After it is done deleting the junk files, including index.dat, restart your computer. After it has restarted, see if the problem still occurs.

As for the Mup.sys file, I'll research it and get back with you on that. Let's see if CCleaner will help out first.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It looks like there are some serious things that could arise from this Mup.sys file. Please backup all important data immediately!

Let me know how the computer is running after using CCleaner. If it is the same, which it most likely will be, we will attempt to handle your Mup.sys problem.

Do you have an XP CD?

Once again, please backup all important data before we go any further.

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok same deal, doesnt get through the chkdsk. I've got my data backed up, and I'm ready to proceed.

And yes I do have an XP cd. Professional.

Edited by Jezza, 15 March 2006 - 10:36 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Alrighty, let's try the simplest solution and work our way to the more complicated ones, if necessary...

Repair Windows XP. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If you have problems, here is an alternate way to repair XP:

Alternate XP Repair Method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system. After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

After doing the repair, try chkdsk again. Let me know how it goes.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Have you tried pulling the drive and putting it as a slave in a different system and running chkdsk?

It really sounds more like hardware, then software.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
You could download a bootable utility off of the drive manufacturers website and let it determine the status of the drive. You might have to use a friends pc to download it though.....

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
At the moment I'm using gerryf's suggestion and performing the chkdsk on the hdd as secondary. I can do this because I have 2 hdd, one runs xp and one 2000 for when xp happens to mess up.

It seems to be working now, got through that problem I kept having where it would get stuck, and it's just verifying file data. This seems like it's going to take a while because it's only moved like 1% in 10 mins.

After it's completed (hopefully successfully), I'll switch it back to primary, and then try to start it up in safe mode to see if the Mup.sys is still giving me trouble. I suspect it will because it's pretty much always given me trouble since I repaired...even before the whole chkdsk issue.

The hdd is a seagate, and I happen to have the seagate diognostic tools, so I might check the hdd with that later if I'm still having trouble with Mup.sys.

I'll let you know how the chkdsk goes.

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok the chkdsk ran successfully when the drive was put as secondary to another, but when I changed back to primary, it still cannot enter safe mode. It starts loading drivers but stops and restarts when it gets to Mup.sys.

Should I still go ahead with the repair or what should I do?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yes, go ahead with the repair.

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok, I repaired xp using the method on this site, and then tried to boot into safe mode. It still stops and reboots when trying to load Mup.sys.

So the repair failed to fix the error. What should I do now?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I will experiment with my own computer...

I will let you know the next step as soon as I'm done. Don't worry about me, I'm going to backup all my data before experimenting.

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok thanks computerwiz, I appreciate all help you guys are giving me.

I am wondering could it be my copy of windows xp that is doing it?

On a sidenote, there are 2 copies, one is sp1 which is mine, another is my roommates whos is sp2. I cannot finish loading my friends with sp2, because it gives bluescreen of death when loading the drivers (the installing windows part with the gui and the info). It says in short:

The problem seems to be caused by the following file:
SCSIPORT.SYS
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
*** STOP: 0x00000050
*** SCSIPORT.SYS - Address F8475FFF base at F8461000, Datestamp 41107b4b

But I can load my version with sp1 on without errors, aside from the not being able to boot into safe mode. I also do not use a SCSI hdd, just plain old IDE 200gb seagate.

And that sp2 disk loads fine for my roommate.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Without knowing more about your friend's computer, I cannot accurately tell you why your friend's won't work on yours. Odds are, your friend's was made specially for their computer.

Now, back to yours...I've experimented with mine, but I still got a bit to do. I deleted Mup.sys off of my computer, and it still booted up in normal and safe mode just fine. So, I thought it may be the file it loads after Mup.sys, but it just looks like Mup.sys. So I saw that on my computer it was giveio. So I deleted it. It still worked fine.

Wannabe1 told me it was another file that came after Mup.sys, not giveio. So now I think it is different from computer to computer. I will need to know what file your computer is loading after Mup.sys. I will tell you how to get that info for me after you do this:

Go to Start > Search and search for Mup. It doesn't matter if it is Mup.sys or Mup.dat, and it doesn't matter if it is MUP or mup. Find all Mup files. It cannot be anything other than Mup, such as Muppie. :tazz:

When it is done searching, look at each file and write down its Location, Size, Date Created, and Date Modified.

Don't exit the search yet! After you're done writing all that down, on the menu to the left, click on Change file name or keywords. Click on the circle next to Search anywhere in the file and then do the search again for Mup. This time, it will take much longer. But you should find a text file (.txt) or a .ini file with some information in it that looks like the words you see when you go into safe mode. When you find that file, attach it to your reply to me.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 19 March 2006 - 04:25 PM.

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I did the search and there are two mup files I found:

mup.sys C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 106KB 03/08/2004 11:15 PM 17/03/2006 6:48 PM
mup.sys C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers 106KB 03/08/2004 11:15 PM 17/03/2006 6:48 PM

And as for the other file with text similar to what I see on startup, I've attached that also. I'm not sure what order safemode loads up those files though. I cant remember if it's alphabetical like in this file.Attached File  svcpack.txt   425.21KB   110 downloads

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I'm gonna compare your Mup files to mine. I will return shortly.

As for the text file, that one is not it. When you open it, it will look similar to this:

Posted Image