Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windowsXP: slow shutdown

• Please log in to reply

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I just double checked, and I find no file like that.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Wannabe1 may be right...we may have to reformat and reinstall Windows...you can't go on without Safe Mode. You need it in case something happens in the future.

Backup all data that you've created/changed since your last backup. I have one last idea:

Put your XP CD into your CD drive. Find the Mup file on that CD. Copy that file to the 2 locations on your computer where Mup is located. Delete the Mup that is on your computer before copying.

I have a strong feeling this won't work, but let me know how it goes. And after you let me know, if you still cannot get into Safe Mode, you can go ahead and format and reinstall your Windows. If you don't know how to do that, let me know and I can guide you through it.

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
The file on the xp cd isnt the same. its MUP.SY_S

also the size is only 52kb, the dates for both are 23/08/2001 10.00 PM

This is the only file on the disk called mup.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Arrg... *sighs* I hate not being able to solve a problem. :tazz:

Go ahead and restore. We need to get your computer up and running again. And I feel we won't get anywhere with this problem. Me and wannabe1 have been messenging back and forth and he's told me all he's done already when he encountered the problem before. This is very difficult problem, if not unsolvable except through a complete restoration.

Just for fun, you can Google Mup.sys. You will see how many people have had it, how many "solutions" there are, and how much they've failed.

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok I'll reformat and reinstall on the weekend when I have the time to do it properly.

I just want to say thanks for all the help you and wannabe1 have given me. I'll let you know how the reinstall goes when I do it.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Alrighty then.

Sorry we couldn't fix it without restoring :tazz:. Let us know if you need anything else.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 20 March 2006 - 04:35 PM.