Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

plug and play software device enumerator and audio isn't working..

• Please log in to reply

marcelamadeira

marcelamadeira

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
My audio stop to working and I don't know why...
One day, I turn on my comput and... there is no more any kind of sound...
When I saw the "device manager", there are problems with Audio card and Plug and play software device enumerator...
I have reinstalled them, but nothing is changed...

Sorry for my poor English.. Iīm a Brazilian girl...
I hope you can help me...
Thank you... =)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go to device manager, right click the audio device, click remove, confirm and restart the PC

This will rebuild the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, give it a minute to arrive at the prompt with a flashing cursor then type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98 CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click optimize and improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Install the soundcard software, but you could also look for newer drivers from the manufacturer's site

marcelamadeira

marcelamadeira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok.. I will try this...
I will be back with the answer... =)
If works right or not... =)
Thanks.. anyway...

marcelamadeira

marcelamadeira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Wow.. I didnīt see this before...
I use Windows XP...
What can I do now??? =/

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is a bonus of a sort :tazz:

Go to add / remove and uninstalle the soundcard software then run through this and then re-install the soundcard software

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

marcelamadeira

marcelamadeira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Add/Remove programs?
And uninstall audio software?
I didnīt find this =/

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel them add and remove programmes, look in the list for the name of the soundcard, click it then click remove

marcelamadeira

marcelamadeira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
In my list... there aren't nothing with my soundcard name... =(

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then right click my computer, click properties then hardware then device manager, look through the list to sound video and game controllers, click the +

Do you have any yellow markings there

marcelamadeira

marcelamadeira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Oh yes...
So, I have uninstalled them, and windows xp reinstall it again...
The yellow marks were in Audio Card and Plug and Play Software Device...
But when they have been reinstalled, the yellow marks, are gone...
But there is no sound yet...
Before this, Can I continue, doing "Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete....etc"???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would try this now

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

Install the software for the soundcard

marcelamadeira

marcelamadeira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok.. thank you very much...
I will try this...
Maybe this will cust me a long time...
After do this, I will tell you if works.. =)
Thanks agains...
Hugs...
See ya!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You might want to change your operating system in your details to save getting answers for 98

Hope it goes well

marcelamadeira

marcelamadeira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hey... it works!!!
Finally I can listen my MP3 music again... =)
Thanks for your help... =)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know