Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removable Disk Drives Freeze Computer

• Please log in to reply

raislam

raislam

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have 3 different removable USB Storage devices that I use. One of them is a memory stick I use alternately between my computer and my PS2, one of them is an MP3 player that I fill with music that I create, and the final one is a Polariod Digital Camera.

After plugging in the Polaroid Digital Camera, none of my storage devices have worked since. My sister plugged it in before installation, so I pulled it out, installed it, and plugged it in. There was no extra drive created or anything. We retried 3 times, uninstalling the camera and restarting the computer each time, and then I gave up on it. A few days later, I was trying to put a song on my MP3 player, and as I plugged it in to the USB slot, the computer printed a row of dots on the very top of the screen and froze. When restarting the computer, Windows wouldn't start up with the MP3 player still attached.

At this point I thought there was a problem with the USB slots, so I got one of my girls to cam with me, and it worked fine. Then I tried the PS2 memory stick, which I rarely have use for anymore, and the computer froze when I inserted it.

So somehow, my computer freezes when trying to access a removable disk drive. Any suggestions?

Windows 98 SE
224MB RAM
Pentium II

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
doess it do this as well on all other usb ports on the machine? or just one?

raislam

raislam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I only have two USB ports, and the USB Storage Devices don't work on either.

raislam

raislam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
*bump*

raislam

raislam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
*sigh*.... bump

raislam

raislam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
no suggestions at all??

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Please do not "Bump up your post", it creates spam for other users. If somebody has a suggestion or an answer, they will post.

raislam

raislam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
theres too many posts for any1 to notice a post that goes back page after page