Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WiFi to Wired?

• Please log in to reply

shawndhupar

shawndhupar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Dear Sirs/Madams,

Hi everyone... since I am new to this site please excuse me if this has been posted elsewhere.

I am a hotel owner and have Wifi Installed in the office/frontdesk area but not yet in all the guest rooms. I would like to have the ability to allow guests to utilize this system in their room as this is an important feature for many corporate guests. However many guests do not have wireless capability on their laptops. Is there any device that will allow them to access the WiFi system?

Such as a device that will capture the wifi signal and then you can hook up the laptop to this device via a cable?

I am trying to avoid having to do major construction in the rooms just to install new wiring so that guests can be on the internet. WiFi is the future but for those with older laptops that dont allow wifi... a device that captures the signal and then you can plug your laptop into it would be great.

Thanks for all your help

Shawn Dhupar

Advertisements

marklet2002

marklet2002

• Pip
  • 3 posts
What protocol are you using? Wireless B and G run on the same frequency and are cross compatable.

The laptop cards for the B run at a slower speed, 11 MBPS compared to the 54 MBPS for G but this is faster than most DSL connections anyway. The B equipment is getting extremely cheap now so you might simply buy a joblot of the PCMCIA cards and offer them to the customers with a refundable deposit.
If you bought a large enough lot you would get a significant price break and if you offered them at that same price for the deposit it might work out as a perk to the guests where they simply keep the cards when they leave. Over time most of your guests would have their own cards and you could phase the program out as your stock of cards was depleted.

Sheraton offered them as a giveaway last year if you stayed 5 times in any of their hotels in a 3 month period then they mailed you a free WIFI card. (I have one)