Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP CHANGING MY PC CASE TO A NEW CASE!

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
WinCrazy's right. They are perfectly safe to use & they don't really generate any heat (hence the term 'cold' cathode).

The sound activated ones do exactly what the name suggests - they flash when you play sounds from the PC (ie music, dvds, games etc). All the ones I've ever seen have a selector switch to allow you to choose between sound activated, constantly lit or turned off. As you have an acrylic case, it will probably look quite good with a couple of cold cathodes.

NB if you do decide to install 2 cathodes, make sure you buy a dual cathode (2 tubes, 1 inverter), rather than 2 single ones. This will mean less wiring & only one inverter to conceal.

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
okay so than what should I be looking for when I buy one???

I want a blue one. So what should I ask the store for?

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Ask for a "blue cold cathode flourescent light".

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
How long does the average pc last under the best usage conditions?
Meaning it's taken care of, but used a whole lot daily.

I'm trying to estimate the lifespan of the computer you guys helped me build. That way I know when to go for a new one...

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Expect a computer to last at least as long as it takes for the user to want to get a whole new system because of the added speed and features that the more modern system affords. That is not to say that some major components will not have to be replaced. Electronics fail without warning and for no particular reason. If a hard drive or power supply fails, it can usually be replaced. However if the disk drive controller fails then it may not be reasonable to invest money to replace it over buying a new system. This is especially true of motherboards. For example, I have 2 socket-A motherboard systems that meet all my current computing needs. I almost cannot find any socket-A motherboards on the market anymore. If one of them fails I may very well be stuck with an unreplaceable motherboard and a perfectly good processor and heatsink for which there are no new motherboards to put them on.

To give a number in years, a computer is wanted to last no longer than about 6 or 7 years. By that time the technology in it will be so comparitively slow that the owner should want it to be replaced.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
N/A

Edited by WinCrazy, 01 May 2006 - 09:54 AM.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Can you tell me how old my system is?

HP Vectra VL400 800MHZ

This way I can think about when I should buy a new mobo/processor/ram and just attach it to everything in my system.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
I can't say for sure, but I Googled that this model has a Pentium III. That would make the system about 5 to 6 years old.

Edited by WinCrazy, 01 May 2006 - 10:41 AM.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Win crazy if you go back to the earlier posts in this thread you will realize what I have done to my old HP Vectra VL400

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I know that SRX600 gave me a bunch of urls to buy fan grills. But is there anywhere you guys know of where I can buy fan grills using a pay pal account?

You see I don't use credit cards, so I only have pay pal.

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
I'm pretty sure that Newegg.com will take checks. Call them up on the phone and explain (they have real humans that will answer). I'm sure they will also take money orders, too.

Hours of Operation:
M-F: 8:00am - 5:00pm PST
(Excluding National Holidays)

Toll Free: (800) 390-1119
Local: (909) 395-9046
Fax: (909) 395-8907

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The obvious place to get this sort of thing using paypal, is Ebay. There's quite a good selection on there. Computing->Desktop PC components->fans, heatsinks & cooling->fan grills

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
OKAY IT'S TIME FOR ME TO UPGRADE MY PC!!! I NEED HELP, POINTERS, WISDOM, TIPS, INFO, AND ANYTHING THAT CAN HELP ME ON MY WAY TO PC DREAMLAND!

Many of you whom have been part of my thread already know what equipment I have and what I did with my old "HP Vectra VL400" p3 computer. If you have no idea do some skim reading and you'll know what new stuff I bought for it.

Well I just saved up a whole lot of cash, and figure it's time to throw away the mobo, processor, and ram (not literally). I'm just gonna take them out and put them in a new cheap case I will buy for the parts I just mentioned, and use the pc as a internet only pc. That way what I upgrade will be my work pc. Why? You will see!!!!

First off I am a sound engineer that works in a professional studio. The pc I want to build is for studio uses, but for home. I want to be able to work at home on a beastly powerful machine. I mean something that is almost past todays standards. Something that is sooo fast I will get my moneys worth.

The Budget:
$500-$1000

The Job:
I need a mobo, processor, and ram. They have to be capable of handling INTENSIVE ram usage, and processing power. For those of you who want to know what kind of programs I will be using read the next step. Anyways the pc has to literally run without flushing, skipping, stalling. I want it to be better than whats on the market or the best.

The Programs I will be using:
Like to know what kinds of programs will be my main source of focus for this work pc? They'll be the following:

- Cubase SX

- Fruity Loops

- Adobe Audition v2.0

- T-Racks

These programs are intensive and need hard working parts in order to not skip while tons of wav files are loaded.

-------------------------------------

I need a motherboard that will indeed run top of the line hardware. I just bought a brand new 80gb IDE western digital hard drive, and a LG dvd-r/rw as well. I bought a new case, and a 450watt psu all for my old hp vectra vl400 pc. So I will be keeping these parts. The only things I need is a top of the line mobo, processor, and ram. I guess maybe something along the lines of what comes with the besttop of the line pcs in stores right now. I dunno. Like for instance. When they sell a real pc at a store thats brand new top of the line actual manufactured pcs at like future shop, staples, best buy, sears, etc. I assume those come with the newest mobos, ram, and processors. Most new pcs in stores like that cost like $2000 and come with monitors and warrantys etc. Well I don't need the pcs. I just need those top of the line parts I mentioned. I want to attach all the stuff I have just bought for my old pc as I mentioned above, and put it on the new mobo.I need something TOP OF THE LINE. I don't care how much it is, I told you all my budget. I just want something super duper fast. & ram that works wonders. I want these parts to be so good I won't have to upgrade for years, I'm talking like 5 years or more. I want to have this baby for a longgggggggggg time. I want lightening speed. To the point I'll say woaahhhh!

It also has to have good sound, since I'm a sound engineer and I need to master and mix songs. Meaning I need the best possible audio so I hear the right frequencies when I'm working. I dunno if the new mobos come with good integrated sound or what. But it has to be good. I'll be getting a nice soundcard after, but the integrated sound on the mobo HAS TO BE IMPECCABLE.

I don't know anything about how to tell what mobo, processor or ram is the best. Or how to know if there fast, etc. I mean I know little about old mobos, and ram. But as for new stuff I dunno. As I said my pc is still a p3. lol. So I guess you could say my pc knowledge is stuck in that era.

I really, really need the best harware. I want to be able to install good vid cards and stuff too, as I will be doing gaming as well. & I want to be able to run todays newest games.

Basically I want the best MOTHERBOARD, PROCESSOR, AND RAM ON THE MARKET NOW.

I assume that since a new pc in a store that comes with a monitor and all that costs like $1000-$1500, that my budget on the new hardware I want ($1000-$1500) will be more than enough for the best mobo, processor, and ram on the market.

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO ATTACH ANYTHING TO THIS MOBO. GOOD VID CARDS, TOP OF THE LINE STUFF. SOUND CARDS ANYTHING.

I WANT THIS TO BE MY DREAM PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANY ADVICE WILL BE NICE!!!!

SHOW ME WHERE TO LOOK, WHAT TO BUY, AND HOW TO KNOW WHAT IS GOOD FOR TOMMMOROWS (NOT TODAYS) STANDARDS!!!!

I'M LOOKING FOR THE FUTURE BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
You are going to have to face some hard realities right away. You have to be willing to pay $1000 just for a top of the line processor alone. Now matter how fast a system you get today, in three years there will be plenty of systems that will run rings around it.

According to your needs, it sound like you want a great gaming computer except for the video card, since you do audio work rather than video. Conentrating on just the processor, memory and motherboard expect to spend:
processor $1000
2GB RAM $200
motherboard $150
CPU cooler $50

Won't you be needing a new case, power supply and video card ? The case doesn't need to be anything fancy and the power supply doesn't need to deliver 600 watts. All the better cases come without power supplies.

case $100
PSU $75
video card $100

And, of course, you will need a great sound card and speakers to go with it.

Audigy2 sound card $200
sound system $??? (you will know best what to get)

And you will want a fast disk system, too. The best all around way to get this is to get an SATA2 RAID array in which the data is striped for fast access. Many motherboards support SATA RAID but you will need to buy 2 SATA hard drives for data and another for the OS and program files.

2 X SATA2 data drives $200
SATA OS drive $100

This shopping list is well above $2000 already and you don't have a sound system or a display yet.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I am using the same case I have now. & the 450 watt psu i have now. I mentioned everything I bought For the pc I have now. All you have to do is look at my specs on the left and know what I have.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

As far as the priced you mentioned, why would the processor alone cost me $1000 if top of the line pcs that just came out cost about $1000 for everything including a monitor???

As for the vid card, i will get one after i buy everything. That is not essential, as long as it has top of the line integrated vid I guess to just hold me on for a while until I get the real vide card. I also have a new 80Gb IDE hard drive I just bought, so what am I gonna do with that? I still want to use it, that way I will buy less stuff. I just bought it! & I just bought my new case. A see through one. I need to keep it. Plus the new 450watt psu, and dvd-rw I just bought!!!!