Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Problem - Wants a password not given..

• Please log in to reply

ossint

ossint

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello everbody,

Today when I started my laptop that contains an OS from MS, the XP Home edition with the SP2. It suddenly asks for a password for the user. The password has never been been given, its blank, nil or what ever you want to call it. Still the machines asks, three times and then locks up. Repair is also not possible since it asks for an admin password that is non existant.

What do I do now...?

Humbly yours,
Peter

Edited by ossint, 14 March 2006 - 10:00 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use the administrator account, leave the password blank

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

ossint

ossint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
No, your suggestion didnīt work. There is no earlier state to restore to. The problem came up without any obvious reasons. Nothing was changed, the computer was just turned off and turn on a couple of hours later.

Tried to install the same CD on an other computer meanwhile, completely free standing, out of three installing attempt, all "succesfull", two installations asked for a non-existing password when starting up. The third did not. This means a 66.6% failure rate of the installation of "MS XP Home Edition /w SP2". The CD is an original cd from MS and was bought about two months ago.

The machine is a HP Pavillion laptop bought 2004 and has been running failure free since then. Also it came with a MS XP Home edition but without any SPīs.

Any ideas?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Contact Microsoft to ask for another CD if it does it on other machines

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
While the new CD is on the way, you might try the information provided by M$:

How to log on to Windows XP if you forget your password or your password expires

Worth a shot while you wait. :tazz:

Ron

ossint

ossint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thank you major Payne and all others for your suggestions. I talked with MS yesterday and here is their answer.

...Since the computer is a laptop and delivered with a "Windows XP Home 'Edition" in an OEM format. The only way to make the computer to work is by installing the "version" of the XP that it was delivered with. Then update it with the appropriate servicepacks. I can not buy an new XP in a shop and install that...

I can understand this reasoning when talking about drivers and hardware specific software, and there is a separate cd with all the machine specific drivers. But that it is valid for the complete operative system I find a little problematic.

But this is the message anyway. It should be mentioned that the laptop is a HP Pavillion ze56xx.

There is also an other finding in this process. When a laptop is installed with a normal version of the XP, the computer runs faster than when the OEM version is installed!? :tazz:

Any ideas anyone?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You issue with Microsoft is that the installation source is corrupt, and they should have measures for that, did you ask for it to be replaced on the basis it is impossible to install it on the laptop, or any other PC you own

ossint

ossint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I asked the support person what they thought would be the appropriate step to take. And what I wrote in the previous thread is their suggestion, they dont think that changing to a new copy of the OS cd will help. Actually I got the impression the it will not change anything.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The only problem I have with their advice is that it reproduces the error on different PC's, try HP and say you cannot install with it