Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC not booting up

• Please log in to reply

dlmgg

dlmgg

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'm trying to debug a problem with my Grandmother's computer. For some time she has been complaining that the computer would reboot for no reason. She isn't very computer literate so I don't have a lot of details of what was happening. Now, when you hit the button to start the computer, nothing happens. What is strange is that when you plug the computer in, it starts to make a sound as if something is running in there but pressing the on button does absolutely nothing. This is XP home on an emachines T2895. I was hoping that it was just a matter of a loose wire but I don't see anything obvious when I open up the tower.

Thanks for your help.
Dawn

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Do the fans keep spinning when you hit the power button? If not i would suspect a bad power supply. If they do i would look at the memory and video for problems.

SRX660

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks. No the fans are not spinning at all. There is some sort of noise the minute I plug it in but nothing is happening. When you say power supply, do you mean the power cord iteself? I am using a different plug then she has at home with the same problem.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Not another Emachine's power problem! They're starting to build a record...

When he says "power supply", he's talking about the big metal box that the power cord plugs into. It dimishes the 120 Volts that comes from the wall outlet to a much lower voltage that the computer uses.

I had to replace my own Emachine's power supply, it was only 3 years old! And someone else I know had to do the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the same problem with your grandmother's computer.

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok, now that I'm on the right track I did a quick search and found the numerous complaints about the emachines power supply. My question is should I by a replacement that is the same model or is there a recommended alternative as it appears that even changing this hunk of metal out won't guarantee it won't happen again as they are faulty.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
good question. Personally, I pulled one out of a junk computer I had...so I never did research to see what is a good PSU (Power Supply Unit) to replace it with.

I'll do some searching for ya. Give me a few minutes. :tazz:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Alrighty. I found 3 for ya.

http://www.tigerdire...5&Sku=B452-3100
http://www.tigerdire...5&Sku=P456-4001
http://www.tigerdire...5&Sku=P456-4000

Those should fit in your Emachines. I couldn't find information about your Emachine model's PSU, so...if you want to wait until I get home, I can physically measure my PSU, and then you can measure your PSU. If they match, then the PSUs in the links above will work for you. Your PSU should not be different from mine though...

Or, if you got a digital camera, you could take a picture of the sticker on your PSU and then I can tell you right away if these will work for you.

Let me know what you decide.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 14 March 2006 - 01:00 PM.

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks so much for your time. Unfortunately, I don't have my digital camera with me. Here is what is on the sticker:
Bestec
Model:ATX-250-12E REV:P7
Input:100-127V-6A, 200-240V-3A 60/50Hz
Output: +12V --- / 13A, -5v --- / 0.3A
250W Max +5 --- / 25A -12 --- / 0.8A
+3.3v --- / 20A +5VSB --- / 2A
+5V & +3.3V 150W MAX
Total current from +5v & +3.3v shall not exceed 27A
Total current from -5v & -12V shall not exceed 1.2A

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Oh yeah, the good ole Bestec PSU :)

That's the same one I had. Piece of junk! :tazz:

The three that I posted for you will be just fine in your computer :) .

If you'd rather me find one that you can buy at a local store, like Office Depot or Best Buy, let me know and I can search on their websites. Otherwise, any one of those 3 will be good for you.

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks so much. I'll get it over the net and post with the outcome.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You're welcome. :tazz:

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I got the part, rather quickly I might add. I hooked it up and I think it is all setup properly. There really wasn't any instructions with the power supply but I unplugged one plug at a time and plugged the new one in right after. The new one had extra plugs but I'm guessing that is ok. The fans both come on the minute I plug the computer in but then shut off . The button however does nothing. Any ideas? Is it possible that the button itself is the problem or is it as bad as the motherboard needing to be replaced?

Thanks again.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hopefully it is not the motherboard...but knowing how dangerous and unpredictable electricity can be sometimes, it's possible...

Before we go that far, though, check the back of your power supply. There should be a black switch that has 2 symbols on it: "O" and "-". The power supplies I suggested to you have their own on and off switch, unlike the bestec one. Confirm that the switch is in the "-" position.

While it could be the button, it is a rare occurance. But from your description, it may be the case here...

Check the cables that are attached to the button to make sure they are plugged up to the motherboard well enough.

If neither of those 2 things are it, get your digital camera (if you have one) and take a picture of the inside of your computer so I can see how the power supply is plugged into everything.

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'm guessing that the power supply should be connected properly as the fan on the motherboard does startup. I checked the connection of the button and it appears to be ok. I was going to open the front to check the button itself but I can't find any charts on how to get in there. I will get a picture as soon as I get my digital camera. The light on the button does go on but then shuts off with the fan. I'm pretty confident that if I had to, I could replace the mother board. I do software support but never really deal with hardware issues so this is new to me. :tazz:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Honestly, hardware is not my strong point either. But I've had plenty enough experiences to pin-point problems.

My difficulty with hardware comes from finding compatable replacements. But it is not hard to find compatable PSUs. They're rather easy to replace.

Without physically being there, it's harder to tell if the problem is isolated to the PSU, or if there was a surge or something right before it went out that destroyed other components.

Try to get a clear enough picture so I can see where the PSU connections are going. I'll also check out how the rest looks, see if I can spot any damage or something.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 19 March 2006 - 08:40 PM.