Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Formatting drives that are using RAID

• Please log in to reply

Grantax

Grantax

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Do I have to do anything special to format my 2 hard drives which are using RAID (mirroring)?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
You should not have to do anything special, but it all depends on the equipment you are using. This assumes that you have already setup the RAID array and it did what was required to be able to use it. For example, if it is RAID1, the disks have to be sync'd so that the data is the same.

Does that answer your question or if not can you give more information?

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
What do you mean about the drives having to be syncronized?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
What I mean is that if you have two drives the data will not be the same, so for RAID1, the disks need to either be zeroed so as to be the same or if you are adding the second drive, the data from the first needs to be copied to the second so that the data is the same. Normally this is done automatically.

I am unclear on why you are asking the question, so I am trying to give you information to help. If you could clarify your question, that might perhaps help to give you the answer you are looking for.

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I'm just asking because I'm going to format my harddrives, and reinstall windows.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
The RAID controller should make the disks look like a regular disk, so you should not need to do anything different than normal. You would need to create a partition and create the filesystem.