Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Keyboard

• Please log in to reply

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi Guys,
I bought a Microsoft USB Keyboard and it just keeps asking for i386, from SP2 Windows XP disk. I have put the winxp SP2 disk in several times and it still will not find the file it is looking for. I have explored the disk also, and cvannot find the file. I do not really know where to look next.

Any ideas please.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's the actual file name that it's looking for?

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
From what I can see, it is something like this :

kbdhid
kbdhid.sys:kbdhid sy_

The Keyboard is called : Microsoft Curv Keyboard 2000.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...put your xp cd in the drive...and exit out of the auto run that open s up do start > search > files and folders....in the "all or part of the file name" box put kbdhid.* in the look in...change that to the cd drive, now click the more advanced options deal ...make sure the first 3 boxes are checked (search system folders, search hidden files and folders , search subfolders) now start the search..

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I did that and no good. I think I might have to try putting it in other USB slots. Not sure if that will work, though. I have dropped a line off to Microsoft about it, but you know them, I shall be lucky to get a reply,lol.

Its a shame really, it is a brand new Keyboard.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I don't even think that file is on a windows xp cd....did you install the intellitype driver that came on a cd with the keyboard?

You can also download them here.

http://www.microsoft...ds/default.mspx

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
The KB did not have a cd with it. But I will download the info you gave me Gerry.

cheers.

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
In the meantime, I found thiswhich looks like the answer. Microsoft drivers,(Intellitype Pro 5.5). The info on this file listed a list of KBs and mine was on the list. Tomorrow we shall see.

Thanks again.