Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Total Memory

• Please log in to reply

Wondercookie

Wondercookie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, can someone pleeeeeze help me? My dad just bought me a laptop (I'm 36, just reconciled with my dad, he moved into my home, feels great finally being the babied child).

When I go to System in Control Panel, it tells me that I have 384MB of RAM.

But when I use BelArc Advisor, it tells me that I have 384 Installed; Slot U5 has 256MB; Slot U6 has 256MB.

So which is it? Do I add all of these (384+256+256) together? Or is 384 it?

If someone could help me out here, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you in advance, and stay frosty.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you will have the two 256Mb but you dont always get the same amount displayed in windows, laptops will often use system memory for video which will remove a portion that would normally be dislpayed in the system screen, you can double check with the CPU-Z software its reliable but its probably just the integrated video stealing some of your memory.

Wondercookie

Wondercookie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, Warrior...certainly do appreciate it.