Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no screen no sound and no hdd spin while booting

• Please log in to reply

Rollora

Rollora

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Guys!
I have a problem: after my ASUS A8N was too loud for my ears (the northbridge) i installed a watercooler to the nforce 4 SLI northbridge and to the cpu. After rebuilding the system, the system was not able to boot. There was no screen, not a single beep and the hdd drive doesn't spin. When i connect the CPU cooler it spins so the coolers work and the board has electricity. Even the Watercoolingsystem works but the problem is the booting of the system because it simply doesn't do it.

My system
asus a8n sli deluxe
Amd Athlon 64 3500+
1Gb Kingston RAm
200 Gb seagate barracuda 7200.7

I have also already taken out Graphics board and soundcard (audigy 2) but still the hdd doesn't start. i have connected it to power and the sata string to the motherboard but ist simply doesn't boot. Pleas help me, but don't tell me that i have broken my motherboard...

Greez Rollora

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you take your cpu fan off completely? ( i assume you did as that's the point) most motherboards wont turn on without detecting a cpu fan

Rollora

Rollora

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the quick help i found the solution and want it to present to everybody else, who has the same problem: no screen, not a single sound from mainboart, fans running the drives not...

the solution was the last i thougt of: the CPU. when i took off the original Cooler the cpu was liftet (i hope its the right word, my english isn't too well) so it was about 1mm higher on the one side then on the other. you don't see that when you don't look exactly enough (because you must suspect that, to look exactly enough). so I had to rebuild the whole system and I am already writing the post with my new machine!

Thanks for quick help and hopefully I was able to help others with my solution!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a llifted proc will do it hehe...glad you found it cuz that would have been a hard one to figure out..

Rollora

Rollora

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah, thats true! I had everything under suspect because i dropped some of the thermal liquid to the motherboard so i guessed it could be a shot circuit as well as a broken Northbridge. The CPU was my last hope and i wouldn't have searched for it because i was already packing my things and send it back to get a new motherboard when I saw the CPU not 100% fitting into the socket... [bleep] that was luck and it was a shock so I'll not make such a step (big upgrade with watercooling) again too soon :tazz: