Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange File On Desktop

• Please log in to reply

atearwhofellnot

atearwhofellnot

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'm on windows xp prof sp2...

I have located a hidden file on my desktop named CA2V4PMP.
I cannot rename or delete this file.

I cannot locate where it would come from and why I would need it.

No matter how many times I reboot its still there and can't be touched.. I have tried in safe mode and I cannot delete it.. says its not on disk..

Any thoughts on what it might be and if its safe just to ignore it?

**update forgot to post this** I also did a massive internet search on the files name and found nothing.

Edited by atearwhofellnot, 14 March 2006 - 06:44 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just out of curiousity, would you list the full path of the file? :tazz:

Ron

atearwhofellnot

atearwhofellnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Try reading what I wrote please. There is No full file path you can't access the file to get more info.. Its a hidden file on the DESKTOP...Theres no file extention. No nothing just CA2V4PMP.
Thats all the info on it I have.. Thats all I can give.. It has no size..

(For you because you dont know the path to the desktop)
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop
Lol. Sorry had to do it :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi atearwhofellnot...

Have you looked under the Startup tab in msconfig? If not there you might check the following registry key and see if it is one of the subkeys...(click on the subkey and look in the right pane for it's description)...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

If it is there, delete the subkey.

It is recommended that you back up your registry and/or set a restore point before making any changes to the registry. Registry edits are always done at your own risk.

wannabe1

atearwhofellnot

atearwhofellnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I keep my startup empty :tazz: Xp tends to load faster that way.. Ill check the Registry and get back to you.. Thanks :)

atearwhofellnot

atearwhofellnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
MM Nope not there :/ And I also searched the entire registry for the filename.. No results.. Shall I take a screenie and post it?

weAponX

weAponX

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Can you drag and drop the file into notepad just to get a look see? Can you right click on it and get any properties?

Sure, screen cap it. Files with random letters like that may be trojans- But the name is not compleatly random, sounds like it is part of a program, a running process maybe.

atearwhofellnot

atearwhofellnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
No Like I stated earlier in this topic... The system doesn't see the file.. It says file not found when eve rI try to edit it.And if you get properties on it...it says its a FILE .. 0 bytes :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like we're dealing with either a phantom or an orphan...

See if Move on Boot will remove it.

wannabe1

atearwhofellnot

atearwhofellnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
No.. No it didn't :/ Anyone else have some suggestions?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
atearwhofellnot...

Ya mind if I take a couple more swings at this? :tazz:

Backup the registry. Open regedit, navigate to and click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click "File" on the toolbar, and choose "Export". Save it to the desktop as 031706, and click "Save".

Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Double click on CommonDesktop in the right pane.

In the Value Data field, change %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

Click "Ok" and close the Registry Editor. Reboot.

If the folder is still there after rebooting, try to delete it again.

wannabe1