Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC SLOW/SLUGGISH AFTER INSTALLING NORTON AND removing spyware.

• Please log in to reply

kellie7

kellie7

• Pip
  • 7 posts
If possible, I am hoping that someone can help me figure out why my computer has become slower in not just the internet, but in all my other programs as well. ESPECIALLY ONLINE it is agonizing. Where things would pop up right away online before, they now take at least 5 seconds to load each page, and I have also noticed the more subtle change in the speed of my offline programs/navigating, as it is a little slower then before.
Please help if possible. :tazz:

kellie

Advertisements

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hey Kellie,

Welcome to GeeksToGo! My name is Paul and I will work on serving you with any computer help. First of all, let me diagnose your computer program further. Can you please tell me the brand and model of your computer. And if you know them, please also give the specs. Please visit Prevent Malicious Code and look at the guide, make sure you meet the requirements there and report back at this forum in this topic.

Paul

kellie7

kellie7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I went ot prevent maliscious code and the only thing that my computer did not have done recently was erase all cookies and temporary internet files. I did that, and I can't quite tell if anything has improved. It seems to have gotten perhaps slightly better.

I would still appreciate further analysis of this problem. Here are the system details that I am aware of:

Emachines T 1600
38.9 Gigs
56K modem
Windows XP
256 MB DDR

I just installed the latest version of Norton Anti-virus and removed some serious spyware. I defragmented my files..and
still slow.

:tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
kelly,

I see you previously posted in the malware forum, but opted not to have anyone look at a log after a friend removed malware.

What you describe could very well be the remnants of malware that was not removed--I'd lay money on it. I'd also bet money that Ukbiker is a better malware killer than your friend.

Just to humor me...how about running hijackthis and ATTACHING -- DO NOT POST--it to your next post

kellie7

kellie7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey!!
I hope you are right! Because then we can just clean it out. ? :tazz: here's my log. I did have this site up - but no other programs were running that I know of.
Happy st. patricks day!!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Edited by gerryf, 17 March 2006 - 10:09 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ATTACH ATTACH ATTACH ATTACH

Not POST

You can certainly remove all settings that say FILE MISSING

I also suspect that you may still be infected as there is a service I am not familiar with--but the malware folks are more on top of these things than I.

You also have the remnants of AOL on the machine, but seem to be posting from a roadrunner broadband account.

Please visit the MALWARE forum and this time go ALL THE WAY THROUGH the process. If the problem persists after you have been given a clean bill of health, RETURN TO THIS thread and I will help you resolve the issue.