Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply

theBoar

theBoar

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi Guys,
The past few days my computer has been acting kinda funny. The problem is with my Windows Explorer. I get a pop up that says "windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" and it gives me the option to Send and Error report, Dont Sent, or Debug, I've tried to debug but it doesnt seem to help. Ive been getting these messages alot. I've also been getting a 'Data Execution Prevention' box that pops up and says 'to help protect your computer, windows has closed this program.....Windows Explorer'.
This is a very frustrating issue because my computer is farely new and i wanted to keep it in good shape. Can anyone help me plz, thanks. :tazz:

WinXP SP2
100 Gb Hard drive
1536Mb Ram
AMD Semprom 3400+

...plz let me know if you need any more info...

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Go to Start/run... type in chkdsk /f

You may get a window stating the drive cannot be locked. Just confirm (yes) that you want to run chkdsk the next time the system restarts.

Restart your computer.

theBoar

theBoar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello...thanks for your reply
I did what u said to do, but im a little confused as to what was done or solved.
Can explain to me exaclty what it was that those instructions fixed? I'm not a comuter guy so i dont really know what that did to my computer.
Thanks

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Basically, CHKSDK (Check Disk) is microsoft's disk utility. When you add switches... ie... /f, you're telling chkdsk to "fix" any errors it finds on the disk. If you want to learn more about chkdsk, please visit THIS LINK.

By the way, is it safe to assume you problem is solved?

theBoar

theBoar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks for the explination....
I assumed that the problem would be solved after your suggestion, but unfortunately not. Shortly after i wrote my previous response i had the same problem as i was on my computer. I really dont know what the problem could with my Windows Explorer....
Any other suggestions?? Thanks.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Well, I had you run chkdsk /f first because a lot of times it will fix some "minor" problems. There is a longer chkdsk that will do a more thorough test... and that's chkdsk /r. This will take some time to complete so once you run it, just let it go. You execute this test the same way as you did chkdsk /f.

There is also another command that called sfc /scannow... you will need your XP disc. Go to Start/run... type in
sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

We can aslo check for a dirty bit on your drive, but why don't you run the other two checks first and see if that fixes your problem.

Edited by makai, 15 March 2006 - 11:37 PM.