Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD temp.?

• Please log in to reply

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
I was wondering what is an acceptable temp. for my HDD to run at. Its a Western Digital 250GB SATA 16mb cache. I downloaded speed fan 4.28 and it says it runs at about 50 to 52degrees. Is this too hot?
-Pete.

Advertisements

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
i guess it is a bit hot, when my HD runs too hot it's really audible, clicky-clicky, try to place the intake fan in front of it if you can. try a defrag as this reduces the work of the HD and takes it's load off

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sounds all right wouldnt want any higher than that 40C is what you like to keep it at but thats not always possible as older cases and bedly designed ones used to keep the frives out of direct airflow as they didnt think thy would need cooling.

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
The case is designed well (Asus vento 3600), as the cpu runs @ 32-36 and the mobo is about the same 32-36. It just seems as though they didnt think about the wiring. As there is nowhere to really put em except above teh HDD, kinda like insulating it. I havent noticed any performance changes, it doesnt run any louder than usual. Every now and again it wont detect it unless i fully power down the system. But I think thats a BIOS issue with this mobo, Im planning on reflashing soon, as a couple of other features dont work properly. Thanx guys,
-Pete.

Edited by p-zero, 15 March 2006 - 10:52 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The vento has a few little flaws like that but alot of cases do, other than blocking airflow over the top wiring wont have a huge effect.

Why did you pick the ventoo its getting on now and its just a little bit odd looking to me, it seems to be the case every shop has in stock on display but ive never known anyone who used one. Careful when you flash to get the proper bios and have a backup disk prepared in case it goes wrong people often forget to make the backup as well.

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Well, I mainly picked the Vento for its looks as its kinda alienwaresque, and I liked the idea of the screwless design. Sounds nice in theory but not very useful in practicality. And this particular case raises the MB off of the case for better airflow behind the board. Even when I OCed it the MB temp never went above 36C. And the highest the temp of the cpu was about 44C and that was running my 1.8 @ 2.45. Even under load it stays nice and cool. And also I figured since the mobo I bought was Asus, that it would fit in this case rather nicely, which it did. I might just get another fan and mount it to blow directly on the HDD. And another to blow on the GPU's.
-Pete.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would get specific coolers for your gfx cards if you want them cooler, the arctic silencers or a zalman, im either getting an arctic silencer next week, or a VF-900 tommorow if the price is reasonable.

My mobo temp sits around 30 ish my max load is about 40-42 with the ctock cooler another thing i need to get round to replacing with something a bit better.

You also get HDD coolers but HDD temps usually arent anywhere near a critical problem though so i wouldnt spend a huge amount on it.

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
If your CPU is runnign as cool as you said, then it sounds like a misinterpretation of the actual temperature. Get a thermal sensor and do it manually. I seriously doubt there'd be that much of a difference between your HD and CPU.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
i think that a lot of HDD are put badly in cases. also, if you stick a HD vertically instead of horizontal, will it affect anything?