Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Network Cable Unplugged woes

• Please log in to reply

alex williams

alex williams

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi was hoping that someone can save me before I go insane..

I'm connected through Cable Modem and NTL to the magical Interweb but at the moment I'm unable to even connect to a single webpage from my desktop..why mention the desktop? because I don't have any trouble with my wireless enabled Thinkpad.

Everything was fine until around two/three weeks ago..I don't think anything changed, I really don't remember installing anything and certainly no hardware changes.

So I connect to the Cable Modem through a Buffalo G54 wireless router, and again my laptop in the same flat is able to connect to the wireless network and the internet.

My Desktop shows "Network cable unplugged". It can see and connect to the Wireless network, I can also log into the Router through the 192.168.... I have tried powering down the router, modem and computer in various combinations, switching the wire connecting the router to the modem... no avail..

I've tried altering the Duplex (down to 10 Full/half, now back on Auto) through the My Computer/Manage/Devices/Network Adapters

What else? The Network Connections control panel shows; Wireless Network (connected), 1394 Adapter (?) Connected, and Realtek ethernet NIC, Network cable unplugged.

Any ideas, or resolution would be great as NTL are not coming back to me yet...

Thank you.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello alex williams and welcome to G2G, :tazz:

I need a little additional information to ascertain whether or not I will be able to assist you,
in correctly diagnosing your problem.

Please Answer the following questions:

1) What operating System do you have on the Problematic PC, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example..XP SP1 or 2)?

....How to find out: Locate the MY COMPUTER icon and right click on it to select Properties.. on the General tab, look under SYSTEM

2) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the network card or Adapter currently
Installed on the Problematic PC?

....How to find out: Locate the MY COMPUTER icon and right click on it to select Properties.. on the "Hardware" or "Device" tab , click on the "Hardware" or "Device Manager: button, then scroll down to NETWORK ADAPTERS and copy down everything listed in this category.

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router, Switch, or Hub you are using?

....How to find out: Is usually printed on a small sticker, either on the bottom or back.

4) What IP Configuration are you using for both computers (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)?

....How to find out: Click on start, Type in: cmd .... or ... command : when the black screen appears type in: ipconfig /all :and hit enter. Copy the results back in your post (again for all pc's).

5) What steps have you already taken to try andcorrect your problem?

[color=#FF0000]PLEASE ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-5 THOROUGHLY, TO HELP ME, HELP YOU BETTER TROUBLESHOOT THE PROBLEM.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 15 March 2006 - 06:05 PM.

alex williams

alex williams

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
You'll have to bear with me as I can't pick up emails unless I'm in the office.. I'll take my laptop home this evening and so I'll be online and able to provide all of the information.

Thanks in advance for your help..

Alex

alex williams

alex williams

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
1) What operating System do you have on the Problematic PC, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example..XP SP1 or 2)?

Windows Xp, Version 2002, Service Pack 2

2) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the network card or Adapter currently
Installed on the Problematic PC?

1394 Net Adapter
Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54 Wireless LAN Adapter
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

(none of which have any crosses or Warning triangles on them)

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router, Switch, or Hub you are using?

Buffalo WLI2 G54

4) What IP Configuration are you using for both computers (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)?

Desktop (problem child)
Host Name – your-zy8mp1setc..
Primary DNS Suffix :
Node type: Hybrid
IP Routing : No
WINS Proxy enabled: NO
Ethernet Adapter LA Connection5:
Media status: disconnected
Description Realtek RTL8139/910x family Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address 00-0C-76-F5-C1-4F
Ethernet Adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:
Connection-specific DNS suffix:
Description : Buffalo WL12-PCI-G54 Wireless LAN Adapter
Physical Address: 00-07-40-BB-52-AE
DHCP enabled: Yes
Auto config enabled: yes
IP: 192.168.11.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.11.1
DHCP server: 192.168.11.1
DNS servers: 192.168.11.1
Lease optained: 16 march 2006
Lease expires: 19th March 2006

5) What steps have you already taken to try and correct your problem?
1st. Power down modem and Router,
2nd remove connections and set them up again on the machine
3rd logged into the router (192.168.11.1) and tried doing the reset from there..
4th switching the duplex down to 10/full 10 /half
5th switching cables between the router/modem

I’m currently plugged straight into the modem which is working, although even the laptop which previously worked now seems to have problems connecting to the wireless network..
As a side note, there are now about 4 active wireless networks in my flat complex, which all show on available network connections. Obviously I’m not logged onto any of those but might they cause interference? My desktop is around 10 meters and two rooms away from the wireless router…

Thanks in advance

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
First lets try a Factory Restore for both the router and wireless Nertwork Card, so we know for sure that we are working from scratch.

Follow these steps to restore the router and wireless card back to factory defaults:

1. Turn off your computer.
2. Unplug power from your modem.
3. Locate the tiny button or tiny button hole on your router.
4. Hold in this button for 1 minute [may be less but all routers are different]... you can tell if it is restored by all the lights blinking rapidly for a few seconds when the "restore" takes effect.
5. After the lights quit going crazy let off the button
6. Unplug power from the router [don't mix up the power cords for the modem and router - one can damage the other]
7. Turn back on your pc - leaving the router and modem disconnected from power.
8. After the PC Boots - Verify that you have the CD that came with your Wireless Network Card, or if you do not - then you can download them Here.
9. Hold down the “Windows” key on the keyboard, and then press the “R” key on the keyboard. This opens the RUN Command.
10. Type in: devmgmt.msc :and press the OK button. This opens the Device Manager.
11. Scroll down to Network adapters and right click on the "Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54 Wireless LAN Adapter" and select "Uninstall".
12. After the card is uninstalled close out the Device Manager and restart the computer.
13. When the computer restarts, The "Found new hardware wizard" will launch detecting the Network card. When it asks for the location of the device drivers just direct it to your CD drive (if you have the Disk), or to the location where you downloaded the drivers to, and let the wizard complete.
14. After it is finished reboot the computer again.
15. After the PC boots - Hold down the “Windows” key on the keyboard, and then press the “R” key on the keyboard. This opens the RUN Command.
16. Type in: devmgmt.msc :and press the OK button. This opens the Device Manager.
17. Scroll down to Network adapters and verify that there are no Yellow Exclamation Points. If there are not, then proceed on with th following steps. If there are, them post a reply and go no further.
18. Turn off the computer.
19. Plug power back into the modem - wait for it reach full sync.
20. Plug power back into the router - wait for it to reach full sync.
21. Turn back on your computer, wait for it to boot up - and connect to your wireless broadcast via the control panel and network connections.
22. do not add any security just yet - see if you can connect to the internet.