Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repeated attempts at

• Please log in to reply

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I keep getting repeated attempts from alot of IPs hitting my software firewall trying to access port 6881. I ran AVG anti-virus, ad-aware and spybot but came up with nothing. (1st time this has happened as I have been running this way for quite a while with no problems)

I 1st noticed something was wrong when my PC had an incorrect shutdown message and checked for disk errors. This happened after I came back into the room after leaving for a few.

I upped the security level to no sharing and blocked access attempts just keep rising. Anyone give me some help with waht I should do? (Running WIN ME btw)

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
do you use bittorrent?

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Yes but this problem was still there even if the client wasn't in use.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Bit torrent is a P2P system that attracts a great deal of problems. We don't assist with P2P problems as per our site policy. There's no telling what else is on your system if you are using BT. The firewall problem may just be scratching the surface.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
So are you saying that I shouldn't use any bittorrent at all? Been using it for quite a while now with no issues ever coming up. The hits to my firewall has decreased quite abit from earlier after changing some level settings. I was thinking that maybe something odd occurred with my firewall as some settings did seem changed like alerts being displayed and when ever I startup the firewall is full screen rather than being minimized in the system tray and the most nocticable was when I use to close the firewall a message popped up asking me if it was OK to set it to the system tray now it just goes to the system tray without any message.

(This is what I 1st noticed)
I noticed the odd behavior like the improper shutdown so I blocked all internet access and then I started getting all the IP hits(which was the 1st time that happened when I blocked all access) I then set my firewall to stealth which I was under the impression that made me invisable to routine checks by other IPs but still was getting hit every second. Any more suggestions?

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Windows recently released some updates. Don't know if you downloaded them and that had something to do with it. Really hard to say. Any new software, etc.? Really, not my expertise.

Here is info. about bit torrent.

JUST ONE AUTHOR'S TAKE

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I haven't installed anything new for quite some time. Really I'm stuck between 2 options which are A. My firewall crashed and all the settings changed and the numerous IP hits was just an ordinary occurrence from that or B. Virus trojan or soemthing of that sort. I use the azureus client and thanks for sharing the link.

Edited by plehsdeen, 15 March 2006 - 04:56 PM.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
There's no telling. You could go to the malware section and post a log. Here is hte info. to do that. Good luck.

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Alright posted log thanks alot for your help coachwife6.