Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Multiple broadband users in one household

• Please log in to reply

blaise78

blaise78

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,
I have broadband at home - I usually use it on my laptop. The NTL guys fixed the phone line up in the front room with the modem and that's where I usually use it. My girlfriend would also like it on her desktop PC in the adjoining room, though. Before I go calling NTL, inviting all manners of sales pitches, can anyone advise what the best course of action would be and which is the cheapest?
Ideally it would be good if we could use the net on our respective computers at the same time, but am I right in thinking this isn't possible on one modem?

Cheers in advance

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you will need to get a router (either wireless or not...i would go with not as it's easier)...then you will set up the physical network like this

phone line to modem > Cat5 (ethernet cable) to router > ethernet cable to laptop and desktop.....(assuming both laptop and desktop have a NIC (network interface card))

with a wired system...USUALLy all you have to do is plug everything in and the default settings work usually..

of course...IF your laptop has wireless you could use a wireless router instead of a standard wired one...but that setup is a little more complex...

blaise78

blaise78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

you will need to get a router (either wireless or not...i would go with not as it's easier)...then you will set up the physical network like this

phone line to modem > Cat5 (ethernet cable) to router > ethernet cable to laptop and desktop.....(assuming both laptop and desktop have a NIC (network interface card))

with a wired system...USUALLy all you have to do is plug everything in and the default settings work usually..

of course...IF your laptop has wireless you could use a wireless router instead of a standard wired one...but that setup is a little more complex...

Hi,
Thanks a lot for the advice. If I could just clarify a thing or two (I am braindead when it comes to technology).....What, in layman's terms, is a router? and where can I get one from?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
a router...is exactly what it says it is...a device that routes information between networks (your computers will constitute a network...and the internet is the other network)....you can get one from any computer store...best buy, compusa (if youre in the usa) circuit city...anywhere that sells computer equipment....or you can get one online....i would PERSONALLY suggest with your limited knowledge that you actually go to a computer store for it rather thanbuy online because even though they are annoying the salesman will probably be able to help you make a decision on a device....just keep in mind that almost all routers are the same (for your use at least)....they all do the same task....but in my experience linksys is one of the better brands as is belkin....

blaise78

blaise78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks very much for the help, it's much appreciated.