Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Missing USB Root Hub

• Please log in to reply

ageekmom

ageekmom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After doing an XP-Pro repair on my system, I no longer have the USB root hubs in the Device manager. All of the USB 82801 devices have yellow exclamation marks. I have dual hard drives on the sytem and the other hard drive is fine, therefor I believe it is a software string, not Bios or hardware issue as I know the ports work when booted up on the secondary drive. The drivers listed in both Device managers are the same, but, like I said the Hubs are missing? I am reluctant to try another repair, because of the numerous XP patches and updates and I only have dial-up til they get cable up my road.

The motherboard is an MSI 865G Neo 2, I have tried the motherboard install disk to no avail. I have run all of the microsoft updates including the service packs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
jo

Advertisements

ageekmom

ageekmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Just as an FYI, I had tried everything everyone had suggested, removing USB devices from device manager in safe mode, letting it find new hardware, installing DirectX 9.0 etc. Everyone assumes that when people are having a USB problem the root hub is in standby mode etc. I had no root hubs listed in the device manager. Finally as a last resort, I decided to to into the registry figuring worse case scenario I would just reformat. When in device manager, I went to find and typed in "USB root" I deleted any entries that it would allow and then rebooted. Voila` it found the devices,built the root hubs etc. Everything is golden.

REMEMBER: If you go into the registry to edit, be prepared to reformat in a worse case scenario. This fix isn't for everyone, but worked for me.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
#1 sorry we couldn't help you with this issue

#2 congratulations on fixing that yourself....that is a good fix and i know i wouldn't have thought of it....sticking it in my back pocket

#3 ageekmom is right (aren't mom's always right?) anyone else reading this...if you don't know what you're doing...DON"T TOUCH THE REGISTRY...if you do back it up before changing anything (if you don't know how to back up the registry....then you don't know enough about it to change it safely)