Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows explorer opens on startup to system32 folder

• Please log in to reply

dlmgg

dlmgg

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'm trying to solve a problem for somebody and I need a little help. On startup, Windows Explorer opens up to the windows system32 folder forcing him to manually close it. He tried system restore but that didn't correct it. This is XP. The problem appeared to start when they updated McAfee. Looking in msconfig, I didn't see anything for explorer showing up. There is one startup item that does not have a name, or command, just a location. I'm not sure if this is related. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dawn

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dlmgg...

Let's have a peek at a couple of registry keys...

Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok".

In Registry Editor, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run.

Is the top entry in the right pane "(Default)"?

Then expand (click +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run.

Is the top entry in the right pane "(Default)"?

wannabe1

dlmgg

dlmgg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks, I will check. I don't have access to the computer as I'm in NJ and they are in CA. I will let you know what I find.

noweev

noweev

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I have the exact same problem.

I checked the registry and I do have the first ones as Default.

What do I do next?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi noweev...

Might I talk you into starting your own topic. This problem can be caused by a number of things and would get very confusing to everyone concerned it the two problems suddenly went in different directions. I would be glad to help you in your own thread... :tazz:

wannabe1

noweev

noweev

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi noweev...

Might I talk you into starting your own topic. This problem can be caused by a number of things and would get very confusing to everyone concerned it the two problems suddenly went in different directions. I would be glad to help you in your own thread... :tazz:

wannabe1

Alright thanks!