Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nice wishful thinking time again

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
OK, I am looking for a program that lets me read where the link, that the curser hovers over, actually leads to, that is, even when it doesn't show me those details at the bottom of the window which is very often the way I hit on the wrong site to start with. With luck and practice I might actually done a post here, which people can understand, in the right forum too, if not please let me know then as I won't be all surprised.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what browser are you using?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you are using IE, click View and make sure "status bar" is checked. When you hover your cursor over the link, in the bottom left the addy the link is pointing to will appear.
HTH
Johanna

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I haven't understood what you meant by status bar in this case, but I do know that in a lot of time the site itself hides the infomation normally by having some logo in its place. So for example when I hover over your link in latin (saying "No post, my postbox's jammed" I imagine), I can see your www.johannanko.net link, ah but on some sites that line doesn't show, is there any way around this since, if there were, then a lot of people would be alble to avoid this pitfall and not link to the malware.

Starjax, I was thinking about Internet Explorer because that is what one offered often enough in the Internet cafe, what I am really looking for a simple program, any would do but "stand alone" best.

Edited by fleamailman, 16 March 2006 - 04:44 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
with IE, go to the toolbar at the top, go to view then toolbars. make sure the status bar is checked.

a normal hyperlink will show at the bottom. however links can be malformed. They can even be a script instead of a link or even a linke to a script. In which case it doesn't matter what you do except to make sure your running windows xp with service pack 2. IE7 will help even more when its released.

I use firefox a lot. about 50% firefox and 50% ie. There is an extension for firefox called Spoofstick. It will actually display what sight your on "after" you go to the link. Its useage is aimed at the phishing sites.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Some of the computers I use have firefox, anyway thanks for the info, I feel the I have advanced in this matter.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Hey, Flea- SpoofStick works fine with IE, but it slows down your browsing. I think one eye on the status bar and sensible browsing is more efficient protection.
http://www.spoofstick.com/

btw, the phrase is "Don't applaud, just throw money" and the site is just my homepages. There's lots of stuff on there if you get bored while surfing sometime, and no spyware. LOL

Johanna

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Golly you mean it is not the usual "Tipping is not a place in China then", but thanks I'll checkout the program and your site.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I haven't understood what you meant by status bar in this case, but I do know that in a lot of time the site itself hides the infomation normally by having some logo in its place. So for example when I hover over your link in latin (saying "No post, my postbox's jammed" I imagine), I can see your www.johannanko.net link, ah but on some sites that line doesn't show, is there any way around this since, if there were, then a lot of people would be alble to avoid this pitfall and not link to the malware.

just as a note here...some people obscure the links on hyperlinks for a reason...they either don't want you to be able to link directly to whatever the hyperlink is....OR they want to trick you into clicking it to see where it goes....