Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC keeps restarting for no reason!

• Please log in to reply

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Ok now that I know that what I was getting at is, take out all harddrives except a known good harddrive and install it then do a full format on it and a fresh copy of windows.

The one that your trying to use might be a bad harddrive for installing the os onto.

You will need to find another harddrive somewhere that you know is good and only install it, no others..
Do a full format and install windows xp.

If it still crashes after this then it has to be the motherboard or the bios is failing.

Advertisements

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
OK, trying Memory diagnostic tool option now ...

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Is there any program to determine which of my harddrives might be broken/damaged/corrupt?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehheeh...yeah...chckdsk that i tried to have you run before....but if you can't get into windows...(or the recovery console) it's really hard to run...

can you get into safe mode long enough to do start > run > cmd > checkdsk /r /f ? if you can try that...

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

hehheeh...yeah...chckdsk that i tried to have you run before....but if you can't get into windows...(or the recovery console) it's really hard to run...

can you get into safe mode long enough to do start > run > cmd > checkdsk /r /f ? if you can try that...

i tried chkdsk/r and it was all OK but there was something wrong with F parameter (or something like that)

running Memory diagnostic tool and so far

MATS+ ON SUCCEEDED
INVC ON ACTIVE

but it appears not to be running anymore (pressing X or P doesn't do anything). Should i be like that?

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
memory diagnostic is running now ... how many passes before it ends???

Edited by Buttercuff, 15 March 2006 - 03:13 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You are going to have to troubleshoot and risk loosing your data on that good harddrive with your data or either copy it to the portable if it has the room. (You will probably need another pc for doing this data transfer option or a friends pc.) If it doesnt have room then you will have to go out and buy a new harddrive just to see if your machine will run without any problems or restarts.

You basically need to try a GOOD Harddrive that is known to be good and ONLY hook that up to your pc. DONT install any other harddrives only a Drive C: harddrive. DONT even hook up your portable.

If you continue to have problems the next thing to do would be to try a new motherboard. No bios options will cause a pc to do that but it wouldnt hurt to look through the bios if you are pretty knowledgeable of the bios.

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
OMG ... i can live if harddrive ob drive C is corrupt/damaged but if my harddrive on drive D is broken i can just commit suicide!!! All my work is located there!!! I even transfered everything usable from C on D!!!

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
If i press F2 at the begining how do i know what is wrong there (BIOS; if anything). As you may have witnessed i'm pretty clueless about everything!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I was talking about going into the bios like The Skeptic said and report the voltage in system health.

Advertisements

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I was talking about going into the bios like The Skeptic said and report the voltage in system health.

Sorry, i would need step by step :tazz:

i haven't done that before :)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I highly doubt its a memory error. Have you ever gotten an error that said DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL any of the times you tried to load windows?

If not your memory is going to be fine and has nothing to do with your problems.

Has to be either the harddrive or the motherboard..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you know what make and model your hard drive is? (the main c: drive)

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I highly doubt its a memory error. Have you ever gotten an error that said DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL any of the times you tried to load windows?

If not your memory is going to be fine and has nothing to do with your problems.

Has to be either the harddrive or the motherboard..

not sure but i remember something similar :tazz:

Buttercuff

Buttercuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

do you know what make and model your hard drive is? (the main c: drive)

When i pushed F11 and needed to chose from where to boot there were some names for harddrives ... will that help?

memory diagnostic is still running - should i quit now?