Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows installer help

• Please log in to reply

Billfreeman

Billfreeman

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
I used to have earthlink, removed that throught the ADD/Remove, and through registry keys etc....I have DSL now through qwest and MSN. When I do a "COLD" boot on the computer...it loads up the desktop, then it pops up WINDOWS INSTALLER trying to install earthlink update (it's an MSI file)...I've looked in the registry keys, config sys etc etc....but with no luck. I'm trying to get that removed...and not sure how...I've tried reg cleaner etc...no luck...it's ONLY on bootup. Any help/suggestions appreciaated.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you will need to download the windows installer cleanup utility. found here

after install, launch it from start/programs. highlight the earthlink entry and click remove.

Billfreeman

Billfreeman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried the installer cleanup utility and earthlink wasn't showing.....it's like it's hidden somewhere.....other suggestions??

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
try posting a HiJackTHis log, it can often uncover buried registry entries.

http://www.merijn.or.../hijackthis.zip

just extract this to a folder on your desktop and launch hijackthis. check the first option so you can copy the log here.