Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Dual Channel Memory Confusion

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello, I recieved my new PC about a month ago thanks to some help on this site and I'm having a good time with it. Downloaded the demo of FEAR and Doom 3, also playing HL 2 agian and Far Cry all on max settings. Going to get Oblivion when it comes out also :tazz:.

Anyway I have 1GB of DDR memory (dual channel) and I want to upgrade it because I know that all the next gen games will require 1GB of memory to run decently... I also like to multitask, like alt-tab to something else while playing. Memory is one of the easiest parts to upgrade while being inexpensive. My mother board can support up to 4GB or memory.

Now here is my concern... I have 4 RAM slots in my motherboard, 2 are taken up by the current Corsair 1024MB Dual Channel memory. I want to eventually get 3GB in the future. Now my question is this... Could I buy and install Corsair 2GB Dual Channel AND have my current memory together giving me a total of 3 GB? The reason I want to do this is because I have a full time job now and I can afford to buy these things and I dont want to upgrade to 2GB now then have to throw my old stuff out when I upgrade in 2.5 yrs. Usually I can bump down the old parts to older PCs I have, however none of my other PCs will except dual channel memory. If you need more info just ask. What do you guys/gals think?

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
According to the corsair website you can run a pair of 1 gig sticks and a pair of 512 sticks to get 3 gigs in dual channel mode. Make sure your motherboard will b able to see all 3 gigs of memory. Many MB's have the slots but don't have the bios to see that much memory.

If you are running DDR400 memory, very soon it will be outmoded. Now motherboards will accept DDR553, DDR667, And now DDR800 memory sticks. Soon the DDR 266, 333, and 400 memory will be all but forgotten. I think there is a new race to see how expensive computers can get to.

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
DDR 400 is still going to be a well used type of memory for a while yet due to its high useage on current systems and that on AMD systems the DDR2 advantage is relativley small(the biggest advantage will be that DDR2 is going to be cheaper).

Its really nothing much to do with the memory at all but all to do with what your motherboard can handle, most modern mobos can handle 4Gb and even 8Gb of memory on some. However on alot of Nf4 based boards there is a speed cap at DDR333 if you use all you slots for dual channel, however this isnt the same for everyboard, you manual will have a table of possible ram configurations it can handle and at what speed in what ports.

Also your memory can still go to an older system it just wont run dual channel itll just run as two normal single channel sticks, its less performance but a gig of ram is still a gig of ram.