Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC freezes during games

• Please log in to reply

AndreasEngberg

AndreasEngberg

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I recently bought a new motherboard and graphics card for my pc. Since then the pc is freezing every 1-2 hours, but only when I play games. It just stops responding and the sound loops; only thing I can do is restart.

Thinking it was a heat problem I removed the cover, but it didn't help.

I ran Prime95 torture test for 10 hours straight, and it passed all tests (and didn't freeze in that time). Then I started up Need for Speed and within an hour it froze. :/

My system is this:
CPU: Athlon XP 3000+
Motherboard: Asus K8N4-E deluxe
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 6600
RAM: 1GB Geil

Anybody got an idea how to troubleshoot this? Do you need additional information?

/Andreas

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
download speedfan (google it)...install it .....rung a game for a while and check the temps with speedfan, then as soon as the system crashes boot back up and check the temps again..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Prime 95 is mainly a test of CPU, there are other temps that you might want to check(its probably temperature so we can start there).

It may be the GPU temperatures are getting to high and the card is shutting down mid game taking the rest of the pc with it.

Only other big things it could be is an HD problem or a RAM problem(at first glance anyway) if its not temperature related move on to testing the HDD, you can usually get manufacturers drive diagnostic software to check if the drive is in working order.

AndreasEngberg

AndreasEngberg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the replies!

Temperature after freeze-up is

CPU 40-42 C
System 48 C
(No temp for GPU)

Is that too much?

I only have one fan (CPU-fan at 3375 RPM) besides the one in the PSU. And the graphics card have a small fan too.

/Andreas

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hmm the system temp seems very high, in order for heat transfer there has to be a difference between the outside(system) and inside(cpu) if the system is 48 its not actually possible to have a temperature of 40-42 on the cpu. Try using rivatuner to get your gfx temp it has a full system temp recording system as well so it can(if i remember properly) detect and record the temps for the CPU, System and GPU.

AndreasEngberg

AndreasEngberg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, that was the temps just after freeze-up. When the system is idle the cpu temp is about 35 C, system temp still about 47-48 C.

I will try Rivatuner to get my graphics card temp and post the result here. Thanks alot for the help :-)

/Andreaas

AndreasEngberg

AndreasEngberg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
According to RivaTuner my GPU temp is 67-68 C when playing games, and 52 C when idle.

Is this high and if so, what can be done about it? Would a chassis fan help?

/Andreas