Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A-squared tells me i'm infected.

• Please log in to reply

brad656

brad656

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello everyone. I'm new here, and I'm not very good with computers, so if someone could please help me with my problem it would be greatly appreciated.
I used A-Squared's HijackFree tool, which analysizes different files to root out potentially bad ones. Because sometimes the bad files attach themselves to good files, they use a colored rating system in their analysis. Red indicates files that stand alone and are just plain bad. Green indicates good, uninfected files. Yellow means that there are good files, but that they have bad stuff stuck on them. If you click 'view details' for these 'yellow' files, another window comes up and shows you the good files and the bad ones. The bad ones have little devil-faces beside them, the good ones have smiley faces--unfortunately, they seem to be connected. Right beside the devil-faces, there's a little paragraph that tells me these programs are Trojans (like the PROXY-X trojan that is connected to my Nero CD Burner, disguising itself by calling itself "Nero Checker"). After the fix, all of the 'red' files of the analysis were gone, and even some of the devil-face bad guys in the yellow files. But the yellow files still remain, and in them a few little devil-faces the HijackFree is calling a trojan. Some of them seem pretty serious--PROXY-X Trojan, TACTSLAY.B Trojan, etc. Are these bad files as serious as my HijackFree says they are? If so, are they too intricately linked to my 'good' smiley-face files to get rid of fully, or is there some procedure I could use to get them off? Is there any way to zero-in on these bad boys and take them out without damaging my good programs?
Thanks for considering my problems...please help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

brad656

brad656

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I did post it in the malware section, and the fix was relatively successful. But HiJackFree keeps telling me that I still have bugs and trojans (many, fairly high risk). This may or may not be a real malware issue. I'm trying to figure out what it is and come up with some solutions, if possible.
Since I did post it in the malware section, and there is still this unresolved issue, is it alright that I post here? Should it go somewhere else?

Underneath is a recap of my problem. is it nothing? Should I be worried? Because some of these bugs seem pretty serious...

I used A-Squared's HijackFree tool, which analysizes different files to root out potentially bad ones. Because sometimes the bad files attach themselves to good files, they use a colored rating system in their analysis. Red indicates files that stand alone and are just plain bad. Green indicates good, uninfected files. Yellow means that there are good files, but that they have bad stuff stuck on them. If you click 'view details' for these 'yellow' files, another window comes up and shows you the good files and the bad ones. The bad ones have little devil-faces beside them, the good ones have smiley faces--unfortunately, they seem to be connected. Right beside the devil-faces, there's a little paragraph that tells me these programs are Trojans (like the PROXY-X trojan that is connected to my Nero CD Burner, disguising itself by calling itself "Nero Checker"). After the fix, all of the 'red' files of the analysis were gone, and even some of the devil-face bad guys in the yellow files. But the yellow files still remain, and in them a few little devil-faces the HijackFree is calling a trojan. Some of them seem pretty serious--PROXY-X Trojan, TACTSLAY.B Trojan, etc. Are these bad files as serious as my HijackFree says they are? If so, are they too intricately linked to my 'good' smiley-face files to get rid of fully, or is there some procedure I could use to get them off? Is there any way to zero-in on these bad boys and take them out without damaging my good programs?
I tried just searching for them under Windows Explorer, but they bear exactly the same name as their 'good' counterparts, and they're located in the System 32 folder my computer tells me is not to be touched unless it's by a pro.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have all the names, paths and locations of all of these files if they'd come in handy.