Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loading Windows on a Laptop with no CD ROM

• Please log in to reply

ablib

ablib

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello all.

I'm trying to load XP onto a laptop that had no CD ROM. So I have a USB CD Rom and of course the BIOS doesn't recognize the USB ROM.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I first would look into the bios and see if you can change the boot order to a external device. You may have to change a setting to where the bios can see the external cdrom drive also.

Beyond that this is the easist method i've found. From another forum that i copied to a text file.

Use another PC.
Go to www.bootdisk.com and get the file to make a boot-floppy for W98-SE. Create the floppy by running this program.
You can buy 2.5"-3.5" adapters. Take the laptop-hd out, connect it temporarily to this other PC as Master and disconnect any other HDs. Using the boot floppy you made make 2 partitions on the Laptop HD , the first one of max. 30GB (and set it active). Format this in FAT32 using format C: /s /u, the second partition uses the rest of the HD, format also in FAT32. Remove the floppy and try to boot that PC. It should boot into C:.
Now connect the original PC-HD back on, and make that laptop-HD the slave. Boot up.
Then copy the full contents of the XP-CD to the SECOND partition of the laptop-HD.

Take the laptop-HD out, set jumpers back to master and put it back in the laptop.
It should boot the laptop into C:. Then go to the laptop's second partition and start XP installation from there (setup.exe most likely). Let XP re-format the C-partition as NTFS. Keep the second partition with XP-files for when you need to (re-)install, and store your updates and other stuff there.

SRX660

ablib

ablib

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I don't have a 2.5"-3.5" adapter. There must be a faster way. I've been experimenting with USB DOS drivers, but I'm not having much luck.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
IF you've got a floppy drive on the laptop you can try the xp setup floppies

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310994

ablib

ablib

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Upon loading the 6th disc I got the BSOD. twice

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
which "the BSOD"

ablib

ablib

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
You mean what did the BSOD say? I don't remember, I'd have to run all 6 discs again to see.

ablib

ablib

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok so the boot disks worked the 3rd time. But then it said that setup cannot find CD ROM. And the computer restarted.

I know the CD ROM works. So what now?