Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No video signal on an nvidia SLI setup

• Please log in to reply

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hi the guy that sold me this computer isnt helping. when i push the power button, everything powers on (the drives, motherboard, cooling system etc) but the monitor doesnt receive any video signal.

here are the specs that are relevant to the setup.

Asus a8n-sli motherboard
2x7800gtx in SLI
2x512mb ocz platinum
Danger Den liquid cooling system

The liquid cooling system (blocks, radiator, and pump) is setup correctly.
The monitor is plugged into the primary pci-e card.
The dvi cable is securely connected to the monitor as well as the gfx card.

Observations
1. It doesnt matter which video card i connect the monitor to, it still doesnt work
2. I tried two different monitors, one that is vga, and the other that is DVI digital on each gfx card.
3. the sli bridge is secure, the pci-e pins that go into the gfx cards are secure, and the gfx card are secured into the pci-e slots.
4. the motherboard powers on, the cooling system is circulating normally, and all the drives power on normally upon startup.
5. I noticed that the gfx card on the bottom has a miniature heatsink missing (although it probably isnt enough to stop the card from functioning; i thought i should add it just in case).

note: the 7800gtx has numerous miniature heatsinks all over it

and thats pretty much it. If you have any idea on what may be keeping the gfx card from sending a signal to my monitor. please let me know. its been like this for over a week now and its driving me insane.

thanks
Kalian

Advertisements

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Never mind, i have no idea what i did. but when i moved the dvi cableback to the left hand side (tried the right side before) of the primary gfx card, signal was received and the computer booted properly.

Things i did to troubleshoot this problem
1. check the power cables that plug into the card as well as the SLI power connector that connects into the mainboard.
2. secure the SLI bridge
3. check to see the cards are secured into their corresponding slots.

I also removed a heatsink from the bottom gfx card that was loose.