Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

microphone troubles

• Please log in to reply

joshszkoda

joshszkoda

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hey

about a week ago i had to completely wipe my hard drive of the OS due to many viruses including regenerative spyware. however after wiping the hard drive i realised i do not have the XP PRO disk that i had installed it with, i only had my copy of home and rather than going out and buying another version of pro i decided to use home, as i get my new machine in a week or so anyway.

the problem lies when i try to send voice clips over programs such as messenger (MSN) and i cannot use online phone programs such as skype. my mic is not detected. i have run every test i can find under windows, updated all my software, turned the mic right up to max in the control pannel and loads of other things aswell, i just cant think right now.

my friend, also with XP home SP2, cannot use a mic either, but i rely on my mic greatly, so any help you can provide will be of much use to me, or if there are any programs you think may help please link me to them.

many thanks

Josh

PS YES, ive been through all the tutorials provided by microsoft.

Advertisements

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
You could try to get a USB microphone. I think Logitech sells em for like $30 or something. Otherwise, I am not sure how to fix this...

whitey_VTS

whitey_VTS

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I have the same problem only USB mics seem to work, which is annoying as i bought a plug and play mic about 2 weeks ago..