Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WinXp Home hangs for 1 min before fullyloaded in...

• Please log in to reply

KevinAlaska

KevinAlaska

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz:

Hello everyone.

I have a problem I have no idea how to fix it beyond my regular means of troubleshooting. Here is the problem. Windows XP home loads into the user select screen where I select my user name to load in to Windows XP home (which I am the only one listed and only one who uses this computer). Once I select to load up my user account it hangs for maybe a minute giving the hourglass icon for the mouse curser when move it over the botton start menu or anywhere along the bar to the right side of the system tray/clock. After a min or so everything finishes loading and all seems good.

What I have done to try to troubleshoot this... Well I loaded MSCONFIG and unselected everything in the startup tab but this still hangs the computer when with all the stuff unselected.

Anyideas on how to fix this or at least troubleshoot it?

Much thanks,

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

Advertisements

baroon

baroon

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hey, any antivirus loaded. Antiviruses keep testing each and every file that's loads up when you start or logon windows, so that may slow down your pc a bit and even seems to hang up. Moreover if you have less memory, then windows takes bit of time to clear memory for more application to load, i.e, when page file is in use and the consequence is what you're facing.

Even we can't rule out the possibility of any malware or spyware. Do check for them.

Next you should check for registry errors, as it might happen there's any entry which are no more valid. All these are processed even if invalid. These may also slow down boot up process.

Hope this might help you. :tazz:

KevinAlaska

KevinAlaska

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Howdy... and thank you very much for the reply.

Okay... here is where I am at so far.

Yesterday I rebooted and rebooted and rebooted while I have been checking and unchecking (using MSCONFIG) all the win.ini, system.ini, boot.ini and services and as well as teh startup. The problem "seems" to be coming from the services tab. Symantic listings are under 'servies' tab and when I have teh whole servies tab unselected, the windows does load in real fast.

So this is how I was trying to isolate the problem in the services tab. I would have the top half of them selected and bottom half selected, rebooted and looked for the problem. Problem still there so I tried the other half, this took out the problem. I continued doing this until the number of servies were small and I was down to a selection of 4 of them to choose. but strange thing is that when I "should" have the services isolated and down to 1 of them, I would do JUST that one service reboot and it was back again.

Seems to be inconsistant when I get it narrowed down. Not sure if its because it is in conjuntion with another service or another funtion in another tab in MSCONFIG.

I will try the disabling JUST the antivirus program and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for the help again... I do appreciate it.

Cheers

Kevin in Alaska

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
good trouble shooting

Many services rely on other services, so that might explain the curious nature of your issue

Or, you could have a service referencing a missing file

Have you run hijackthis and looked for any settings that say (FILE MISSING)?