Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply

princess2m

princess2m

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been having problems with my wireless router over the past couple weeks. I have a D-Link DI-514 wireless router and a D-Link DWL-G630 wireless card.

A of couple weeks ago I came home from work, turned on my computer, and was unable to connect to the internet. Tried again in the morning and same problem, so I called Verizon first and they found that it must be a problem with the router since my DSL connection still worked when I hardwired the modem to the the laptop. I then called the D-Link people and they were able to fix it within a couple minutes, had something to do with pushing the reset button. Problem solved or so I thought.

Then I started having problems accessing my Yahoo mail, although I could still get to other websites. Then a few days after that I had the same problem with my router again, being unable to connect to the internet. Called the D-Link people again and spent 1.5 hours trying to fix the problem, but couldn't. They determined that I needed to call Verizon again, but Verizon just said it was a problem with the router.

I was fed up, so I went out and just bought another router and card (Netgear this time). I then spent 1.5 hours on the phone the Netgear people because that setup wouldn't work either. At the end of that phone call they suggested I download some files off their website and perhaps then it would work. I promptly returned the Netgear stuff to the store figuring the problem must be either with the modem or with my computer.

Anyone have any ideas??? Please help!!!

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Have you tried completely uninstalling and removing all drivers and software having anything to do with the router from your system and then going through the complete install process again? Maybe that will work, not sure though. I don't have a wireless network, but I was working on a laptop the other day and the guy wanted me to install a wireless card so he could access his DLink router at home. So I did this and everything worked fine and then all of a sudden for no apparent reason I could not get on the internet. I was receiving an IP from the router, but no Internet access. This drove me crazy, so I tried uninstalling and all that but nothing. Finally I did a system restore to earlier that day when I had created a point when I knew it worked and that's how I had to deal with it. I would definitely like to know how to deal with this problem. I'll help you as much as I can, and if you find an answer somewhere else, please come back and fill me in :tazz:

By the way.... What is your local IP, are you getting a 192.168.... or 169.254..??

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)