Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

EasyNote Laptop - 3.2Ghz Pentium 4

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I just bought an Packard Bell Easynote laptop off ebay. I've recieved it and it works fine, but it's nowehere near the speed I expected it be with the following spec (straight from the eBay auction :

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz CPU with Hyperthreading
1GB (1024 MB) DDR RAM
80GB Hard Drive
15.1" DIAMONDVIEW XGA LCD TFT Display (1024x768)
Internal DUAL LAYER DUAL FORMAT DVD +/- ReWriter Combo Drive
(Copies/Writes CD/DVDs!!, Doubles Up As CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/CD-ReWriter)
Integrated 56K V90 Modem
Integrated 10/100 Network Card
AGP NVidia GeForce 440 Go 128MB Graphics Card
3D Stereo Soundcard
Integrated Touchpad Pointing Device
Integrated IEE1394 FireWire (For Video Editing etc)
USB 2.0 Ports
Parallel/VGA/TV-Out Ports

Aside from the fact that the Hard-drive is 70gb not the 80gb (which can be overlooked) it runs so much slower than my desktop PC which has a lower spec. Is this expected with a laptop or is something not right?
For example it can barely run Civilzation 4 on the lowest settings for all graphics. It is jerky and almost unplayable. I thought this spec would easily be able to play that game (the games recommended spec, not minimum, is 1.8Ghz, 512mb RAM and a 128mb Graphics card). Football manager is also very slow especially when playing other teams games. That has nothing to do with the graphics card, the processor just dosen't seem to be able to handle it.

I've installed the latest graphics driver I can find for the card, although it's not an official nVidia driver because they don't seem to have made one for this card (or I couldnt find it).

The specifications all seem correct in Dxdiag and cacheman etc, but when I boot up the laptop it says it has 128mb of Ram before windows boots, can programs like cacheman be tricked into thinking the laptop has more RAM than it actually has?

If the right components are in the laptop, why is it running so slowly? Or is it just because it is a laptop and i'm expecting too much?

Any responses would be very welcome,

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the spec matches the actuality, the hard drive is possibly accounted for with one side calling 1000 a GB and the other side saying 1024 is

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for installed hardware, then check for any updates

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

You could also see what this says, it will scan and show you a list of things it considers to be incorrect, close the programme to leave things as they are, or proceed with the recommendations

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click optimize and improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the reply,

I checked the specifications first and they do match up with what they are meant to be, so thats not the problem. The laptops still running very slow though even after all the suggestions.

When I play any game the processor usage shoots straight up to 100% in the task manager, which it shouldnt do. A 3.2Ghz processor should easily be able to handle a small game of football manager.

Do you have any more ideas?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum