Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AMD Sempron processor questions

• Please log in to reply

johnny boy

johnny boy

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
my freind is looking to buy jstu a basic computer and he asked me if an AMD sempron processor was a good one to buy....i wasnt exactly sure....so im asking you guys!

Hopefully you can help me out...all i really need to know is....is it reliable?
Fast?
worth the money?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its certianly reliable and they are all pretty cheap chips, wether its the best for him depends on A. his budget and B. the intended use, if its going to be a basic internet and word machine then the more expensive(and better) athlons may be a bit over the top so a sempron while not a fantastic chip in the general sense would suffice as its a good chip for the basics(its what it was designed for). Also depends on the rest of the system being put together.

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
yeah im pretty sure hes ust using it for basic internet and word....and hes not putting a PC together hes buying one and he just wanted to know if that was a good processor...i could find out what PC he is buying if that would help

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you want to find out we could make sure hes getting a good deal on the pc, and if he isnt reccomend you to someone who would give you a good deal.

Although for that kind of system it pains me to say it but dell is often the cheapest/best way to go.

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
ok i will find out what system it is.....but real quick i have anothe question...would it be easy for me to install a video-card by myself?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its pretty easy, as long as its compatible obviously.

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
ok, how would i find out if it was compatable?

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
and basically it jsut screws in i really dont have to take the computer apart?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you will need to open up that caes, unscrew whatever card is in now or the pci covering bracket, then you take the card out push it into the socket unitl it clips in securely then screw it in(and attach a power cable if there is one)

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
so not to mucvh there for me to screw up? lol...and i will get my specs for you...but what do u need?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just the basics, i dont need serial numbers or anything just the hardware thats in it and speeds and sizes etc.

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
i ahve xp home...w/ sp2
Pentium 4 CPU 2.60GHz
248 Mg RAM

umm need anything else?...it came with 60Gb harddrive i beleive

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
and umm does it matter that my computer is a compaq and my moniter is a Dell?....................And back to my freinds computer its a compaq presario SR17119x/B that hes looking to buy...for $400

jrsygirl

jrsygirl

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I have a couple of questions...because I know how to turn on a PC, everyone comes to me with computer questions...after I come to you, I'll be known as a genius...smiles...I know a little bit about what GHZ, RAM and Gig we should look for. But I'm clueless on Brands and Processors. My sister wants a new PC...shes looking at Dell, Gateway, HP... she will not be doing anything major on it...she browses and burns some music cds, she plays online games, but not with any controllers or anything, just simple stuff...we will probably go with 2.60 or better GHZ and 512 or better RAM, and a 40 - 80g hard drive..all depending on price. Can you rank the brands of dell vs gateway vs hp or others. I have a Gateway with no problems, My friends with Dell rave about them, but I don't know about hp or any of the other brands....and now the processors...can you rank pentium 4, celeron, amd, athlon, sempron, turon... I thought pentium 4 was the best, but I've been doing some reading and see amd may be just as good or in some cases better than pentium 4. From my reading, I thought they ranked pentium4 1st, amd 2nd, celeron 3rd, sempron 4th, turon 5th.. seems the amd, sempron, celeron are half the cost of the pentium...but I just don't know if they are good processors. Since we are trying to get the best computer for the best cost any help is greatly appreciated... you guys are the best!!! ... :whistling:

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
jrsygrl, Im sorry but i think you posted on the wrong thread, i am not part of the geekstogo staff. You should probably jsut make your own thread in this forum.