Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data Error (cyclic redundency error)

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft will replace the XP CD if you contact them locally to explain it will not install

Advertisements

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I have identified the problem. it is both the dvdrom's themselves..i find it unlikely that are fried but each read CRE when i try to install a program via cd ( example warcraft 3) and freeze the system. Trying to see if maybe there is a setting that may have been switched in the bios or threw the OS that might be effectingthis. I loaded defaults on the bios but nothing happened. It just seems odd that both of the dvd/cd roms blew at the same time..but it could be i just need something to check.. I am trying to locate another dvd/cd rom drive to test this theory.. any other ideas?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can go to device manager and remove both devices then reboot, windows will re-install them when it loads

Look for firmware updates for the drives

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I think i got the problem resolved. The last issue though is when i go to install sp2 i get blue screened again. REsolutions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run anti virus scans

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Use Microsoft Update and install SP2 when it offers it

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run anti virus scans

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Use Microsoft Update and install SP2 when it offers it

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us