Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keep losing internet connection

• Please log in to reply

Torchred

Torchred

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
After my computer is on and connected to the internet using Internet Explorer. In the mnidst of surfing I suddenly can't get the next website to load. What is really strange is that when this occurs, rather than seeing the name of the website in the bar at the bottom of Internet Explorer, such as www.comcast.net, I will see 219.60.948 or some other IP address, it's a different addres each time. If I happen to be connected to a site sucha s pogo it stays connected and I can play, or if I'm in a chat room or IM, that also stays conneted. But if I log out I can't log back in until I reboot. After rebooting everything is okay for several hours, then it will happen again......Anyone who can help will have my never ending gratitude :tazz: I've run every malware program suggested, I've sent in the hijack log. Everything seems fine ....Come on folks, I;m begging here...LOL Anyone got another idea.....

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You started a thread in the malware forum, but never replied to it after begin given advice...

did you follow that advice and it not work? or did you lose track of the thread?

What kind of connection is this (dialup, dsl, cable), are you on a network or a single machine?

Torchred

Torchred

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have cable, I have two machines hooked up through a linksys wireless router wrt54g, the problem curently is on my laptop, BUT! the problem had been on my desktop before.....and yes I have followed all the suggestions you gave me before. I don't think it's the browser because once the connection goes haywire, even though I can continue whatever I'm doing, If I log off pogo, or yahoo messenger, I can't log back in until I reboot......

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you are logged off, does the other machine work during this time?

What version of the router is this> there are at least five wrt54g (v1, v2, v3....)

Have you upgraded the firmware on this router?

Torchred

Torchred

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes, the other computer works, even when this one locks up and won't log back on.....as for the version of the router, it's v2.0.4.4 August 3, 2004, and I'm sure I haven't upgradet the firmware...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would update firmware as a start....

Also, since this is wireless, what is your signal strength (you can usually determine this by opening a utility that came with your card or through the built in windows wireless utility)

Torchred

Torchred

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Whenever I've checked my signal strength, it has always been excellent. At one time, I hadthis same problem on my desk top and it wasnt' wireless.....I know I should know this, but how do I update my firmware ..
Thanks

Torchred

Torchred

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I was able to update my firmware, we'll see what happens now..thanks for the help
mm

Torchred

Torchred

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Still have theproblem, Can you tell me in simple terms what the 1394 connection is, and should it be enabled?
Thanks