Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP install freezes.

• Please log in to reply

me67

me67

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ISSUE: I was upgrading xp home to xp professional. Everything was working up to the initialization phase. This is the 34 min wait. It stops and never completes the installation.

TROUBLESHOOTING: Called Microsoft and they just partition a section of my C drive and had me install it on that partition. This I could have done on my own. They wanted to drag data from the corrupt partition where the unsuccessful installation occurred to the new partition. I’m seeking other alternatives or help. I don’t think the techs there are all that good.

The ideal solution would to reverse this installation or complete the installation. I’m even willing to install another operating system only if it will not delete my applications already installed on the bad partition

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello me67...

Can you boot into the original installation? If you can, look at the C: drive and see how many Windows folders are there.

I'd also like to have a peek at the boot.ini file. To access this, click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings. The "Startup and Recovery" dialog box appears. Under System startup, click Edit.

The Boot.ini file opens in Notepad and looks similar to the following:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home "
/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
/fastdetect

Copy and paste the boot.ini text here for me.

wannabe1