Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about changing ISPs

• Please log in to reply

ifyouseekay

ifyouseekay

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
At the moment I use Rogers Hi-Speed, which is a very popular cable ISP in my city. However, I am VERY unhappy with the service, mainly for using bittorrent, and for playing games. my bittorrent speeds are horrendous, especially compared to what seems to be average, and when I'm playing games online, I disconnect ALL THE TIME. I think I disconnect more often than I actually lose.

So, I'm considering switching to one of the smaller, less popular ISPs. But, I'm not sure if they would end up being better or worse.

So, what do you think?

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
using bittorrent could be your problem. P2P causes a great deal of problems.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
on cable which you have and adsl asynchronous which is like cable means that the download and upload are not the same.

If you run p2p bittorrent and are constantly downloading and uploading that is your problem. Yes you should be able to play online games while you download and upload but your gaming experience will take a big impact if you do p2p at the same time you game..

so pause or quit the p2p downloading and uploading and then try your gaming again and tell me its not any better.

ifyouseekay

ifyouseekay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
oh i dont use downloading programs when i play games because they make me lag.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
oh ok. well if you have problems you should get them fixed by calling your isp or either try a new isp.

Edited by jrm20, 16 March 2006 - 07:22 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Just for grins and giggles, try running the PCPitstop Diagnostic. It might point you to ways to increase your speed or at least find some consistency. BTW, Bittorrent is well known for causing malicious adware/spyware/malware problems, and at G2G we do not support it's use, and strongly advise against using it.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Johanna