Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Transfering E mails

• Please log in to reply

CVH

CVH

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello, I got a new CPU and wanted to transfer my e mails from the old to the new. The old drive is the F. I am moving them because I want to put the old drive back in its original CPU. I moved the whole Outlook Express file from F: to C: Now, I have two IDENTICAL sized files in my C: I have the original Outlook Express folder (containing only my new email files) and I have a sub-folder Outlook Express which shows up with all the very same size files as in the master folder. When I open the sub-folder address book, I get the same small stuff as in my current address book. Same on the email files; no old files to be found. What's up?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The actual outlook express database files are located in a profiel directory that looks like the following

C:\Documents and Settings\{profile name}\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{20 character alpha numeric strong unique to each outlook express profile}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

the files all end with a DBX extension

outlook does not provide an easy merge system--do you need the new emails? If not, you can just drag the various DBX files from the old drive to the new drive, overwriting them

If you do need them, do you have any other email clients like outlook?

CVH

CVH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yes I need the emails. I had re-installed outlook on the new cpu. What I want is all the old e mails and the address book. No I do not have any other e mail clients like it. Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm not sure what you mean by you reinstalled outlook on the new cpu...

If we ever meet. I am going to kill you (j/k)...I now have 50,000 email messages on my desktop trying to figure out how to do this with free stuff.

This will go a lot of faster if you can tell me the exact folder and pathnames of where your folders.dbx files are on the old drive and new drive

Should be something like:
C:\Documents and Settings\{profile name}\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{20 character alpha numeric strong unique to each outlook express profile}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
CVH,

Just so you know, a CPU is not another name for a computer, which I'm guessing you were referring to, some people probably wouldn't understand what you are going on about. CPU is Central Processing Unit > AKA > Processor. A nickname for a computer could be; box, comp, machine etc. Obviously you'd know that, but just for next time.

CVH

CVH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok what Ii meant on reinstalling outlook is this. My dad got a new CPU. He put his Microsoft office with outlook express on it on the new cpu. He took his old drive and made it a slave. He does not intend on leaving the old drive in the new cpu. He has transfered all his files to the new cpu hard drive except the tons of messages he had in his outlook express. He has far too many to just forward to himself or another account unless there is a way to forward the entire list which I dont know how to do, and would make for too large of an e mail to go through. He also wants his adress book. The actual file names I will post as soon as he responds. Please dont kill me lol I appreciate the help. Trust me when I tell you I really appreciate it and understand the patience it takes. In my family I have to answer and explain everything day and night because of international time zones. Questions that usually start with "I have this friend at work who has this friend who's cpu is.." or something like "exactly what do I do with the mouse again? Thankfully my dad is not one them. The fact that he was able to install the old hard drive and get most of his files off puts him to near God status in my cpu family circle. So thanks.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Start the old outlook express go to File>Export >address book follow the wizard
then in the same place export messages> Then on the new Outlook express do the same but choose import.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Peter,

He cannot really do that as the old drive is now a slave in the new machine--so he cannot run the old outlook express

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Step 1

Download Thunderbird from Mozilla Thunderbird

Install it and run it; say no when Thunderbird asks to become the default mail reader

On the top menu, go to TOOLS > IMPORT, then choose MAIL, then NEXT, then OUTLOOK EXPRESS, then NEXT. Thunderbird will import all of your email from your current outlook express profile

Step 2

Go to MY COMPUTER, then choose TOOLS from the top menu, and choose FOLDER OPTIONS, then choose the VIEW tab, then choose scroll down and check the radio button next to SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS, then UNCHECK HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES and HIDE PROTECTED OPERATING SYSTEM FILES

Now, double click LOCAL DISK, then DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS, then select {profile name--it should be the same as the name on top of the START menu, but it could also be OWNER), then LOCAL SETTINGS, then APPLICATION DATA, then IDENTITIES then the 20 CHARACTER ALPHA-NUMBERIC folder found inside, then MICROSOFT then OUTLOOK EXPRESS.

Inside, you will find several files ending with the extension DBX (you may also see some LOG files. MOVE these files to a temporary folder on your desktop. Now move the windows open to OUTLOOK EXPRESS off to the side...do not close it.

Step 3

Go to MY COMPUTER again and open a new instance. What happens next depends on what operating system you had on the old system

If Windows ME or 98
Double click the F: drive (the drive from the old PC), then double click WINDOWS, then APPLICATION DATA, then IDENTITIES, then the 20 CHARACTER ALPHA-NUMBERIC folder found inside (this number will be different then the other one), then MICROSOFT then OUTLOOK EXPRESS.

If Windows xp or 2000
Part A: Double click the F: drive (the drive from the old PC), then double click DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS, then select {profile name--it should be the same as the name on top of the START menu on the old operating system, but it could also be OWNER), then LOCAL SETTINGS, then APPLICATION DATA, then IDENTITIES then the 20 CHARACTER ALPHA-NUMBERIC folder found inside, then MICROSOFT then OUTLOOK EXPRESS.

Part B (perform only if needed): There is a good possibility that you will get an ACCESS DENIED message if using Windows XP or 2000. If so, reboot the computer into safe mode, then relocate the last folder you could open--likely DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS. right click this folder and choose SHARING AND SECURITY, then choose the SECURITY tab, then click the ADVANCED button, then select the OWNER tab, and in the box select your profile name. Click the box next to REPLACE OWNER ON SUBCONTAINERS AND OBJECTS, and click OK. Then, reboot into normal mode. And repeat PART A. (you will also need to open a second window with the now empty OUTLOOK EXPRESS folder from STEP 2

recall the path is: C:\Documents and Settings\{profile name}\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{some alphanumeric string}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Step 4

Now, copy all of the files in the OUTLOOK EXPRESS folder from the old drive into the OUTLOOK EXPRESS folder on the new drive/operating system

This will move all of the old emails into the new OS.

Ideally, you should have done this before downloading new emails to the new machine

Step 5

OK, time to recover/merge all the emails into one profile.

Download IMAPSize from the following website

http://www.broobles....psize/index.php

Install it.

Thunderbird stores messages in the Profile Folder, in the Mail and (if you use IMAP) ImapMail folders. Each mail folder (Inbox, Sent, etc.) is stored as two files — one with no extension (e.g. INBOX), which is the mail file itself (in "mbox" format), and one with an .msf extension (e.g. INBOX.msf), which is the index (Mail Summary File) to the mail file.

To achieve our goal, we need to convert the Thunderbird files into something that outlook express can understand.

Create a temporary folder on your desktop, call it TEMP...if you created custom folders within OUTLOOK EXPRESS, you may want to create several temp folders with names like TEMPINBOX, TEMPIMPORTANT, TEMPREPLYTO, etc

Start IMAPSize from the START > ALL PROGRAMS > IMAPSize shortcut--say NO to the ADD AN ACCOUNT confirmation...you will not need that.

Within IMAPsize, choose TOOLS from the top menu, and choose MBOX to EMAIL, In the dialog box that appears, click the ... button next to CHOOSE ONE MBOX file to convert, and navigate to

C:\Documents and Settings\profile \Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\{some random string.default\Mail\Local Folders

Change the FILES OF TYPE: dropdown dialogue from UNIX MAILBOX FILES to ALL FILES (*.*)

You will see a number of folders and file in here, but the ones we want are files with out file extensions, such as DRAFTS, INBOX, TRASH, SENT, etc.. (any custom folders he may have created.)

For the sake of this guide, choose THE FILE INBOX (not the folder), and press the OPEN BUTTON

Click the ... button next to CHOOSE FOLDER WHERE EML FILES FOR THIS MBOX WILL BE SAVED, and navigate to the TEMP FOLDER on the desktop you created earlier

Click the CONVERT button

Depending on the number of emails, this could take several minutes. Click OK when MESSAGES RECOVERED dialogue appears

Repeat the above steps for each folder of emails from OUTLOOK EXPRESS that you wish to recover

Close IMAPsize

invoke the mbox2eml option from the Tools menu. Select the mbox file you wish to convert (you might need to set the "Files of type" option to "All Files" in the file selection dialog, since Thunderbird mbox files don't have an extension) and select a location where generated eml files should be stored. Click "Convert" and IMAPSize will start converting the files.

All the attachments will also be converted and your original Thunderbird files will not be touched. Starting from version 0.2.0. you can convert multiple mbox files at once.

Step 6

Open OUTLOOK EXPRESS and go to your INBOX under folders. (if the folders list is not present, go to VIEW > LAYOUT and check FOLDER LIST

You should see all of your old email in OUTLOOK EXPRESS now..time to get the newer stuff

Move the OUTLOOK EXPRESS WINDOW out of the way, but with the email list at least partially showing

Open the TEMP folder from above, and you will find many EML files...these are the email files you have downloaded since you first set up your new computer.

Click on one, then hit the CTRL and A key at the same time to select all the files. Now left click and hold, then drag the files from the TEMP folder into the EMAIL list in OUTLOOK EXPRESS

This could take several minutes and if OUTLOOK EXPRESS appears to have locked up, just leave it be

Repeat the above steps for other folders if desired

Step 7

Open MY COMPUTER,

If Windows ME or 98
Double click the F: drive (the drive from the old PC), then double click WINDOWS, then APPLICATION DATA, then MICROSOFT, then ADDRESS BOOK

If Windows xp or 2000
Double click the F: drive (the drive from the old PC), then double click DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS, then select {profile name--it should be the same as the name on top of the START menu on the old operating system, but it could also be OWNER), then APPLICATION DATA, then MICROSOFT then ADDRESS BOOK

You will find a file called {profile name}.wab, move this file to the desktop

Now navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\{profile name}\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

Move the {profile name}.wab file from the desktop to that folder, overwriting the empty address book

You have now merged all of your emails from both old and new OUTLOOK EXPRESS accounts and retrieved your old address book

You can delete any temporary folders you created and their contents

Open OUTLOOK EXPRESS and you will have both old and new emails, and your old address book

CVH

CVH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Holy sucky superbowl batman thats one heck of a fix. I will post results and thanks for all the help.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Slick workaround, gerryf! :tazz:

CVH- follow the steps and you should be a-okay. Please do post back, though. Many times we are left to wonder if anything we suggested did any good, and it's a great feeling when people say "Yep, that did it!" :)

Johanna

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts

Peter,

He cannot really do that as the old drive is now a slave in the new machine--so he cannot run the old outlook express

Can't he setup a second user and point that user to use the old files as his profile
won't this give the access requried ????? I could be mistaken.

CVH

CVH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Here is where we are at.
OK, tell your friend that I've now located my NEW email files, but probably NOT the old ones. Here's where they are on my computer:

a. My new email file is in: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{30 character alpha numeric etc.}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
This file contains 22 separate files (126 MB), including all the separate file folders I've set up in my email (like a file titled My Kids).

b. I thought I had found my old email file in: F:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{30 character alpha numeric etc.}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
But, it contains ONLY four files (total file size is only 220 KB and my current, NEW email file already has 126 MB):
Cleanup 2 KB Text Doc
Folders.dbx 73 KB Dbx.file
Inbox.dbx 37 KB Dbx.file
Offline.dbx 10 KB Dbx.file

But, I can't find a way to open any of the old email files. Plus, these files are so very tiny that I think they are only files used by the Administrator in managing email programs.

c. I've searched the only other four files under F:\Documents and Settings -- with the following results:

F:\Documents and Settings\All Users (file size is only 141 MB)-- -- no Local Settings file.
F:\Documents and Settings\Default User(file size is only 352 KB)\Local Settings\Application Data ---is EMPTY.
F:\Documents and Settings\Local Service(file size is only 431 KB)\Local Settings\Application Data ---no Identities file.
F:\Documents and Settings\Network Service(file size is only 588 KB)\Local Settings\Application Data -- no Identities file.

OK, I've spent MANY hours searching my F: (old hard drive), and I can NOT find my old email files.

So this is where he is at. He a taking a break for a day.The awesome fix to combine new and old he feels is beyond him. Forget the new. He wants the old e mails. I am correct in tellling him he cannot just make the old HD with the old e mails a master for a bit because it is a new computer IE new motherboard right? Putting the old HD in the old computer is not an option. Please help and thanks for your time.

CVH

CVH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I understand it is a little late. But I thought you should know. I came to Germany and the fix worked great. thanks a bunch to all those that helped. The usbmonitorexe problem has been posted seperately and all e mails have been recovered and transfered. Thanks a million.