Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc wont start just beeps

• Please log in to reply

mother35812

mother35812

• Pip
  • 3 posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

while moving my pc tower it was dropped and now i cant get it to stay started.when i turn it on the fans start but within 1-2 seconds the fans stop running and the pc starts and continues to beep till i power off.the beep signal is BEEP-beep-BEEP-beep etc.any idea what the problem could be?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Pull the side cover off the computer and reseat your memory and video card. Continous beeping usually means they are the problem.

SRX660

mother35812

mother35812

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i did that with the memory card but i cant with the video card its connected directly to the motherboard.

i made an error in previous description of problem--as soon as i turn on pc it almost instantly shuts back down,all light go out(except the light in back of tower when i plug it in),and beeping noise from tower starts--could this be the psu

loadsafuniam

loadsafuniam

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
here is a list of the various BIOS beeps you described BIOS bleeps explained

I doubt its the PSU unless the power connecter to you HDD has come loose. Im more inclined to think you damaged the Motherboard or RAM

loadsafuniam

loadsafuniam

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
here is a list of the various BIOS beeps you described BIOS bleeps explained

I doubt its the PSU unless the power connecter to you HDD has come loose. Im more inclined to think you damaged the Motherboard or RAM

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Make sure everything is plugged in and sitted correctly.

How many beeps do you get?

1 long 8 short?
1 long 3 short?

mother35812

mother35812

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
the sound is strange the beeps may not even be beeps--you could even call it a coninuous sound(like humming) that in a steady rythum goes high-low-high-low-etc this does not stop till i turn off tower