Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Get Defrag To Run

• Please log in to reply

weAponX

weAponX

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
[Note: This topic was either posted in error as a new topic or split off from the topic originally posted in. To sum up the problem, I was getting a message "Defrag cannot start" - In whatever mode XP was running in, Regular, Safe, or even from the command prompt and I typed in "defrag c:" manually]

Well, my problem still is not resolved: Cos I did everything everyone poeted here, and I still get that message that Defrag can not start.

I even downloaded your speed defrag and tried that, no go.

I even typed sfc scannow and replaced all of my services.

I have already done an in-place install, what else is there to try?

I posted on this thread cos I typed "XP defrag failure" in Google and this is one of the first responses that came up.

Edited by weAponX, 17 March 2006 - 12:15 PM.

Advertisements

baroon

baroon

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I too have such an issue, but unable to resolve and had to reinstall XP again. But somewhere I've found that if MFT (master file table in NTFS file system ) is too much fragmented, then defrag fails. May be you should find any tool that defragment the MFT.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It takes a great deal of effort to create a fragmented mft file, and rarely does it occur--and then, it is usually only a few fragments.

weAponX, it is unclear to what "I tried everything" means...I managed to find your post in a different thread, but I don't know if you tried the other numerous suggestion sprinkled about this site.

And I must say, your posts were a tad on the arrogant side, and hardly endear anyone to the notion of working extra hard to help you. The issue you describe is VERY different from the one in the thread you were posting in. One was a failure to defrag and yours is a failure to RUN defrag.

You might consider being a bit more humble when asking for help.

Anyway, for instance, did you reinstall defrag, by right clicking dfrg.inf in the c:\windows\inf folder and choosing INSTALL (have a windows xp disk ready--you should not need it, but just in case)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi weAponX...

Check the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

In the right pane, under the "Data" heading look at each value. If any values end in "" post back.

Is this string present? ActiveMovie File Extensions

wannabe1

weAponX

weAponX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
CRIPES! I did not see this down here.

Look everyone: This thing has REALLY frustrated me, so I apologise to everyone, for appearing to be an irritant.

Thanx wannabe I'll check that right off- NO, there is no activemovie entry... You wanna see the reg? Here:

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 3/16/2006 - 10:04 AM
Value 0
Name: SiSUSBRG
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\WINDOWS\SiSUSBrg.exe

Value 1
Name: PCTVOICE
Data: pctspk.exe

Value 2
Name: VSOCheckTask
Data: "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask

Value 3
Name: VirusScan Online
Data: "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"

Value 4
Name: MCAgentExe
Data: c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe

Value 5
Name: MCUpdateExe
Data: C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe

Value 6
Name: Cmaudio
Data: RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd

Value 7
Name: USBPNP
Data: C:\WINDOWS\twain_32\SiPix\SCBLINK2\USBPNP.exe

Value 8
Name: MindSoft FreeRAM
Data: C:\Program Files\MindSoft\MindSoft Utilities XP 9\FreeRAM.exe

Value 9
Name: NeroFilterCheck
Data: C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe

Look everyone, I am really sorry, I really did not see this here, I thought this was part of that other thread.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
And what about this?

Anyway, for instance, did you reinstall defrag, by right clicking dfrg.inf in the c:\windows\inf folder and choosing INSTALL (have a windows xp disk ready--you should not need it, but just in case)

:tazz:

weAponX

weAponX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanx, I just tried it. It did not work, but I'll try again after I reboot.

I think I am gonna just re-re-install XP.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did the above dfrg.inf re-installation respond at all? Disk activity? Error messages?

what about

start > run
cmd
<enter>

then, in the command line, type

defrag c:
<enter>

Does defrag start? You should get a report and then a defragmentting will begin?

I am beginning to wonder if a third party defragmenter was installed and then removed?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
weAponX...

Before you reinstall, would you mind running WinAudit on the machine and attach the report (in Excel format) to a PM to me. I'd really like to see what all is going on in there...

You might find this to be a useful program yourself.

wannabe1

weAponX

weAponX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Gerry: Thanx I appreciate yout patience as you tutored this noob how to work your BBS. What you suggested there, was the last thing I tried- I got the same error in Command Prompt as I did under the windows GUI

Wannabe: Well, I wish I would have read this post before I did another in-place install. I bet that program would have pinpointed the error.

Well, I have this to report: First off I am thankful for stumbling in here, and it WAS a stumbling literally, ahaha! I read and tried every suggestion, from everyone, in every thread that relates to this. The problem was not in the snap-in, the MMC snapin brought up the interface. When you clicked "analyse" or "defrag" the error "Defrag could not start" would either pop up as an error, or in Command Prompt mode, be displayed as Text.

I am just going to document what happened here, and then we can file this into the "resolved" can.

When I got this machine it gave blue screen errors. I took the drive out and checked it with Network Associates Virusscan Enterprise. It found thousands of virus bodies. After that, I put the drive back in and performed an In-Place install.

Here is the link to the Microsoft Site where is talks about doing an in-place install, you guys also have a link to it, Keith posted it in the other thread. I just want to mention that an XP Re-install like this is not an "all-in-one" fix, it is simply a start.

Next, I installed Mcafee and Ad-aware and got rid of more virus bodies and some spyware. I went to the system32 folder and with a finetoothed comb I checked every suspicious file: I deleted a bunch of stuff that was there, after checking that they wre nto system files. And so something I removed or something that Mcafee removed, also deleted a file that Defrag needed... I am just guessing. A file, a service, something got disabled.

I would have liked to know exactly what it was that got fouled up, but at least now, we have all these things to try if in the future someone has the same problem.

This morning, I re-installed XP again, and it restored whatever was removed in all my manipulations, and now I have a clean computer, no spyware, goes online, and now I can call the owner with good news.

Once again, I apologise for any trouble I might have been, it was not intentional.

weAponX

weAponX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Oh yah... Wannabe: Yah, YES. That is a great tool. Thanx billions.

When I figure out how to attach I'll send you the report, in Comma Separated Values? That's the only "Excel" format it's got, it says there are a couple of problems... But they are minor.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks for letting us know you got this issue sorted out.

Rather than attaching the report as comma deliniated, use the HTML option. This will generate three HTML files...attach the one named "rightframe.html". These files tend to be a bit large and may have to be "zipped" to get them to attach... :tazz:

wannabe1

weAponX

weAponX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Attached File  audit.zip   68.96KB   168 downloadsOk, I saved the report as a "full web page?" what is that an MTA file? No... It saved ALL the pieces of the web page all in the same folder, I am RARing all of them now.

Look, I could not figure out how to attach to a PM. What if I attached it here? I take it you can open RAR archives.

If the If the Comma Separated Values file is better I'll put that in the archive as well: Cos you can open a CSV with Excell right?

Ok thanks a bunch- I'll be checking back a little later, I have to re-download my Securuty updates now. :tazz: :0 :)

Hm, I can't add an RAR archive? Allright, here is the same thing Zipped, it has the whole webpage (audit.html) and also the CSV file. Ok!