Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

169.254 Problem

• Please log in to reply

platinumera

platinumera

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi guys.

i got a problem with my second computer. you see, i have a router to share dsl internet between my two computers and the second one suddenly went unable to access the router or to be part of the net.

I have been searching on google a lot about the private ip address and stuff but could not find anything useful.

When i check the ip configuration ('ipconfig /'all on command prompt) it displays this info:

Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.182.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

Can you help me?

Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
quoted from http://www.howtonetw...om/ipconfig.htm

Why do I get 169.254.x.x IP?

Symptom: The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved 169.254.0.0-169.254.255.255 for Automatic Private IP Addressing. If the computer can't get ip from DHCP, APIPA provides an address that is guaranteed not to conflict with routable addresses.

Resolutions: 1) Make sure you have good connection.
2) Check the hardware and settings.
3) Make sure the DHCP is working.
4) For the test, you can assign static ip. If static ip works, it is possible DHCP issue. If static ip doesn't work, check the hardware or connection.
5) WinSock2 stack may be corrupted and need to repair.

platinumera

platinumera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I kept looking for three hours and found a tool that fixed my stupid problem.

It's name is WinsockXPFix.exe. If you have a problem like mine with this private ip thing, just look on that name at google.com and download it. It will save your a**.

Thank you.

platinumera

platinumera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
By the way, i have windows xp media center edition so i can't say if it will work on windows 98, windows nt, blah blah blah.

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Thank you for the update. we need that.