Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

transferring files from desktop to laptop

• Please log in to reply

Caseyb

Caseyb

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hello,

I was just wondering what would be the easiest way to transfer my songs from one computer to another so I do not have to convert all of my cds again. I have a desktop and a laptop using a wirless connection. I want to gain access to the folder on the desktop in order to copy the songs from that folder. Also if I am able to do this, can I also share a printer? I have tried setting up a home network but have not been successful. I was just hoping that someone could help me figure out what would be the best way to transfer these files and how to do so.

Thank you

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what do you mean when you say, it is not successful?

By far, the easiest way, is to set up the home network, share the folder and copy the files. Indeed, any way you do it will involve "file sharing" in a network--be it a small home network or a direct link between them.

Let's start with how you are setting up the network and what the error is

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ok, so I ran the home network setup wizard and used a usb flash drive to run the wizard on my other computer. After setting up the network I went into network connections to find my other computer but no luck. I don't know if I am not setting it up right or what, I made sure that both computers had seperate names and they both had the same network name, but no luck. When I tried to view workgroup computers, it said access was denied. Should it matter which computer I run the wizard on first or does it not matter.

I really appreciate the help!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not typically...but I find that the network wizard is, well, spotty

First, right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, go to COMPUTER NAME tab

For now, click the change button and call the desktop "DESKTOP" and the workgroup WORKGROUP

Do the same on the laptop, click the change button and call the "LAPTOP" and the workgroup WORKGROUP

Reboot both machines

Now on the desktop,
start > run
cmd
<enter>

type
ipconfig
<enter>

write down the ip address and subnet mask

-------

Now on the laptop,
start > run
cmd
<enter>

type
ipconfig
<enter>

write down the ip address and subnet mask

If the IP Address starts with 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x report back the ip address and subnet mask here, correctly labeled

If they do not, post back that they do not, and post back the first octet (the first group of numbers)

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ok,

Desktop
IP address - 192.168.1.2
Subnet - 255.255.255.0

Laptop
IP address - 192.168.1.3
Subnet - 255.255.255.0

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, this means you have two computers and they are properly receiving their network information from your router, which doubles as a dhcp server.

You are on a private network with the router moving data in and out to the public network.

This is good

Now.

From the desktop

start > run
cmd
<enter>

ping 192.168.1.3

From the laptop

start > run
cmd
<enter>

ping 192.168.1.2

Report back

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
also, from the desktop

start > run
cmd
<enter>

ping laptop

also, from the laptop

start > run
cmd
<enter>

ping desktop

Are the responses similar?

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
From the desktop:
ping statistics for 192.168.1.3
packets: sent=4, received=0, lost=4 (100% loss)

From the laptop:
ping statistics for 192.168.1.2
packets: sent=4, received=0, lost=4 (100% loss)

on both computers, when I did the pings, they each had 4 timed out requests.

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
When I ping the desktop and laptop it states "Ping Request could not find host desktop. Please check the name and try again.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok...do you have a third party firewall? (zonealarm, norton internet security, etc) ?

Advertisements

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Yes, on my laptop I have Trendmicro PC-cillin Internet Security 12 with firewall and on my desktop I have Norton Internet Security 2006 with a firewall. I'm sorry I should have mentioned that before.

Edited by Caseyb, 16 March 2006 - 02:58 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
In all likelihood, the firewalls are blocking your connection to each other.

This is what firewalls will do if you train them to be overly aggresive (when you first installed, you probably got several messages about so and so is trying to connect to your computer)

I am unfamiliar with these two products, can you temporarily disable them and repeat the above steps?

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ok, I turned off both security programs and I got the laptop to ping the desktop, but no success the other way. When I ping the desktop from the laptop it says:

Pinging 192.168.1.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 9ms, Average = 4ms

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I really appreciate your help, but I was able to find a way to transfer my songs from my ipod, so I no longer need to set up a network at this time. I would still like to know what it is that's stopping me from setting up a network, but I'm sure you have tons of other issues that you are helping with that are more important than mine. I will keep checking this page to see if you have any other suggestions. I really do appreciate your time and effort though with this issue.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would guess that your laptops built in firewall is still blocking in-coming connections

right click MY NETWORK PLACES, choose PROPERTIES, choose your LOCAL AREA CONNECTION, right click, choose PROPERTIES, choose the ADVANCED tab, and click the SETTINGS button, and set to OFF

Can you ping now?