Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stop error i read others but i still need help blue screen comes after

• Please log in to reply

noluv

noluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
i left tha comp on
an came back to a black screen
sent error report
this time it said device driver
it didnt say video device driver so im assuming
everything went well with that
but now its a diff prob
i dont kno
whut do u want me to do
thanks

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Enter Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Display Adapter. Click on the + sign, right click on any driver that you see there and uninstall it. Reboot. Let the computer run with whatever driver xp loads. Don't worry about resolution, icon size, depth of colour or whatever. We want to check if the computer is stable after you cleared up all installed drivers.

noluv

noluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
ok ive done that
when it restarted nothing happened
was windows supposed to install new drivers
or whut?
ima leave it on a see if i get the error screen again
thanks

noluv

noluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
ok no blue screen
but it keeps freezin up
an i have to manually restart computer
ok
thanks
let me kno whut u want me to do next

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The error messages that you get plus the freezing indicate strongly to a video system problem. However, as is many times the case, the root of the problem can lie somewhere else. What I would do at this stage is try to get a replacement video card for test purposes. Even an old, simple, pci or AGP card will do for this test(provided the computer supports the specific AGP card. You will most probably not have any compatability problems regarding pci). Try to get one, install it and reboot. Let windows find whatever driver it can. Again, don't worry at this stage about quality. If you manage to get such a card and the system is still unstable the first thing that you should do is to disable the driver of the onboard video device. This is done in the same manner as described for uninstalling a driver.

If this doesn't help then we'll have to look at entirely different possibilities, starting from basics such as malware scan, BIOS reset, chkdsk etc.

noluv

noluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
ok now its sayin its caused by an unknown driver
do u still want me to get anotha card?
or is there a way to fix this?

Error caused by a device driver

Thank you for sending an error report to Microsoft.

Error report summary

Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
Solution available? : No (see Next steps)
What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart
Cause : Unknown device driver
Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)
Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to send error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

Information about this error

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

Next steps

We have analyzed your error report and at this time are unable to determine the exact cause of the error. However, Microsoft will continue to analyze this error report to try to determine the specific cause of the error. If we are able to find the cause and correct it, and you encounter the same problem, you will receive an updated response that includes instructions for resolving the problem.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Yes, I would definitely try to replace the video card. Try to borrow one from a friend or get an old one from a scrapped computer. Presently we do not know where the problem is but there were strong indications that it is derived from the video system. I don't say that the problem is definitely there but it is logical to assume so. The story is not so simple and it is possible that the video system is malfanctuning in other parts such as the chipset or one of the buses. Try to replace the card and lets worry about the rest later.

noluv

noluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
sorry for the delay
but im gettin another video card tomorrow
an ill tell u what happens
but the guy at the store said
it might b my power strip he said try hookin it directly to the wall outlet
dont kno how much truth is in that but im going to try that also
thanks