Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Mac or Microsoft?

• Please log in to reply

Gibbs1

Gibbs1

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I am currently contemplating purchasing an Apple iBook but I'm not convinced they are the practicle choice. All the articles I have read on Mac vs Windows has been pro Windows. I'm interested in knowing if there are any really good reasons to buy a Mac. Are they really proprietary? Or is a majority of the software made for computers usable with both the Mac and PC? Are the iBook's specs as good as a typical laptop that would run on Windows? Just give me any kind of opinion you have. I'm really leaning towards purchasing this laptop but I don't want to spend a fortune on something that I won't be able to use.
What I am mainly worried about is the software issue and the speed and memory.

Thanks for the opinions! :tazz:

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
If you are ever in the business lounge at the airport you will notive that most of the computer linked up are macs, probably for two reasons they are men who need to be sure that their system will run regardless of "mal'wars" and women who like the style, graphics and ease. However, remember that if you have used a PC, you will find the changeover to mac quite hard, at time inconvinient, often limited, etc., and yet I have no intention of putting you off here, I too find the stability of macs, the clarity of picture, etc., convicing arguements, and yet PCs have their good points too such as their being able to connect with most hardware out there, in short their mainstreamness. Anyway, hope everyone will feel that I have answered fairly here.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im utterly prejudiced ive never used a mac thats worked as well as an equivalent or even a slower pc, they are allright if you do the handful of things they put the nice easy links on the desktip for but for an advanced user macs are a hinderance i feel.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

I am currently contemplating purchasing an Apple iBook but I'm not convinced they are the practicle choice. All the articles I have read on Mac vs Windows has been pro Windows. I'm interested in knowing if there are any really good reasons to buy a Mac. Are they really proprietary? Or is a majority of the software made for computers usable with both the Mac and PC? Are the iBook's specs as good as a typical laptop that would run on Windows? Just give me any kind of opinion you have. I'm really leaning towards purchasing this laptop but I don't want to spend a fortune on something that I won't be able to use.
What I am mainly worried about is the software issue and the speed and memory.

Thanks for the opinions! :tazz:

A lot of software is not out for Mac, especially games.(If you play games.)

Macs are okay for like video editing and stuff, but for just the plain other, PC wins overall, I mean you can do all the stuff a Mac can on a PC and more, also more software and hardware is out for it.

Also, like fleamailman mentioned, if you used Windows your whole live, the switch over is hard. I heard somewhere that Macs don't use .exe files and if you drag files off a CD say, it won't actually copy them to where you dragged them.

Also the preformance, I have always found a PC runs better than a Mac.

frinkulator

frinkulator

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Mac is so suited to one thing, that they've kind of closed themselves up. For example, I hear that Mac's are excellent for graphics design and also in the advertising business, but a serious gamer probably wouldn't go near them, as Comrade General said, because not all games are made for macs yet. Also I hear that playing DVD's on Macs is a big no no, because they just don't have the power and memory. When Mac's introduced the intel chip into the system, I was like "OMG wow, this is gonna be so cool, it's gonna be like a PC, but better, because it's a mac." Then my friend purchased one... and well... what's there to be excited about. The intel chip wasn't just performing dull little tasks inside a dull little box, I wouldn't be surprised if it was doing more.

On the other hand I hear that macs only contract around 10% of malware that is currently on the Internet.... pretty amazing.

Guest_Falu_*

Guest_Falu_*
I have used Mac's all my life and still do. Since about three years I also use a PC and it's clear for me that:

1. there's nothing like a Mac especialy if you're active in editing text and or images;
2. for other use you're living on an island.: lack of software and technical support to mention two important issues.

Furthermore it's great to be able to exchange whatever you want with others and profit from all that is available on the internet.

Okay Mac's are less vulnerable for malware but who cares with all the protection and help available.

:whistling:

frinkulator

frinkulator

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Macs being less vulnerable to malware is a good thing... it's something people will care about when buying a Mac.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not a huge factor as when mac viruses pop up there head they hit hard because people think they are "safe" and they arent windows has a lot of protection built in macs just dont have and if macs ever bcome popular they will feel the malware very hard at first.

They are just a bit pants in so many senses and imacs were horribly slow. Claris works was ok but it wasnt a patch on office or more recently open office.

Im sure some mac lovin fanboy will come on soon and defend them and probably send you some utterly abusive email about why macs are good "oh yes ive had one of those before on here".

frinkulator

frinkulator

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
LOL, yes that's happened to me before, and when you do insult there precious macs, they begin to con you into buying them... XD

GeekMan

GeekMan

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Well, I like the look of a mac, but the OS Sucks...

If you want a MAC OS X look PC, please pm me with your email and I will send you a program that will convert it for you...

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
geekman, I am interested in that but would like to read up beforehand and links?

GeekMan

GeekMan

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
It will transform the look of an ordinary Windows XP+ system to resemble the look of Mac OS X. The installer simply automates the process of replacing critical system files, setting registry tweaks, and installing extras such as cursors, sounds, visual styles, etc.

In case you are not happy with the results of FlyakiteOSX, everything is completely removable. Just run the uninstaller from the Start Menu or from Add/Remove Programs.

FlyakiteOSX does not contain any spyware or ad-ware of any kind. All files needed for FlyakiteOSX are stored in the Windows directory in a folder named 'FlyakiteOSX' that is hidden by default. All registry values for FlyakiteOSX are written to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\FlyakiteOSX.

If you want the pack, please PM me with your email as the site of which you get it from is loaded with popups--the program itself has no spyware/adware

Edited by GeekMan, 01 April 2006 - 04:33 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Cool, I will PM you for the link as I might need it more than once.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,191 posts
so what did you buy

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
After using a pc for 10 years, we got a mac and it was very easy to get used to it. I am typing this post from our mac.

Both our pc and mac are on the same desk. When I wake up and nobody is using either of the machines, I will choose the mac rather than the pc.

Our mac is 3 months old now and I am 100% comfortable with OS X and the whole mac layout.

After using mac for 3 months, I like mac more than pc and my next machine will be another mac.