Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Startup problems

• Please log in to reply

FallenGuardian

FallenGuardian

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
When the machine is cranked up, and WinXP(home) is loaded, it goes to the desktop, but no icons load, and the task bar is not available either. I'm at a loss. Any ideas? I can't get into the Task Manager, as it was disabled by the administrator.

This is a friends PC and I have NO idea what he's done to it.

Any hints, tips, pointers, fixes would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks yall!

Edit: I've gotten in through safe mode, but I'm not sure on what to do now that I'm here.
I see there are 2 admin accounts, could that cause a conflict?

Edited by FallenGuardian, 16 March 2006 - 03:57 PM.

Advertisements

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hello!

No, administrator accounts are designed to work with each other. I suggest doing a Windows XP system repair.

Paul

FallenGuardian

FallenGuardian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No go, some files on the XP cd I have are corrupted.

I've been given the go ahead for a full reinstall, can I do that from the HD?
Please tell me I can, cause the product key on the pc doesn't match the XP cd I have :tazz:

Edited by FallenGuardian, 17 March 2006 - 08:00 AM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If the XP cds are the same kind, use the cd you have and the machine's real product key. If you don't know it, ask it via Belarc.
http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

It concerns me that the Task manager was disabled by the Admin. Is your friend the owner of the computer? If you weren't planning to reinstall XP, I'd send you to Malware Removal, because disabling the TM is a common trick.

How to do a clean install:
http://www.winsupers...xp_sg_clean.asp

Johanna

FallenGuardian

FallenGuardian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ql1080.sys is corrupted and it quits on me and restarts :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

No go, some files on the XP cd I have are corrupted.

I've been given the go ahead for a full reinstall, can I do that from the HD?
Please tell me I can, cause the product key on the pc doesn't match the XP cd I have

what kind of xp cd is this...is it the one that came with the machine? is it oem, upgrade, or retail? where did you get it from? if it's not the one that came with the machine...where's that one? what kind of machine is it? custom build or prefab? (dell, hp, compaq) what year is it? what make and model if it's prefab?

FallenGuardian

FallenGuardian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
custom built, can get the specs if needed.

Came with no software cd's. Just the tower.

My WinXP Home cd: Retail, full install, from Best buy Version 2002

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok so it's custom built...how did you guys install windows to begin with?

FallenGuardian

FallenGuardian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
good question, that I don't know the answer to. No idea, I only see the WinXP sticker with the product key on the side of the machine, I would think it's legit, but my middle name is "wrong" so.....

might have been a custom build from a "mom and pop" computer shop, I've rarely gotten discs from those places...

but, I changed the hardware config, set it back to default from whatever it was on, it loaded ok, I've cleaned the registry and am now installing SP 2 on it. Hope this keeps on working /me crosses his fingers

Still got a popup prompting me to connect to the net. Whatever it is says it won't work offline and to connect.....do I need to go over to malware?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm....could you post the EXACT popup that's comming up?

Advertisements

FallenGuardian

FallenGuardian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
No connection to the Internet is currently available.
Toview Internet content that has been saved on your computer,
click Work Offline.

Click Try again to attempt to connect

FallenGuardian

FallenGuardian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
and nope....just restarted and still no icons no taskbar

weAponX

weAponX

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Fallen: I assume, no taskbar, no icons, and JUST the wallpaper?

First, look at the keyboard and test to see if the computer is LOCKED up: Hit NUMLOCK and see if it lights up. After that, check the Caps lock.

If the system is not locked up, the corresponding lights on the keyboard ought to light up and then unlight up when you press Numlock and caps lock. So, if it appears to not be locked up try this:

Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and see if the task manager comes up. You should get that block that says System Security. Choose Task Manager and hit "FILE>NEW TASK" and type Explorer in there.

See if that starts up your explorer. Sounds like you got something that is interfering with the GUI coming up... If you can get the GUI to come up by doing what I said, then go START>RUN>MSCONFIG and go to the property sheet called "Startup"and tell us what is starting as the PC boots up.

Also, I did not notice: WILL the computer start up in Safe Mode? If you can, pull it up in safe mode, then run that Audit program of Johanna's and find out some stuff about the actual install.

Edited by weAponX, 17 March 2006 - 01:19 PM.

FallenGuardian

FallenGuardian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yeah weAponX, JUST the wallpaper.

did what you said, it's not locked up, Task manager has "been locked by admin"

moving the audit program to it, running it in safe mode.

will the START>RUN>MSCONFIG work from safe mode? or will it only tell whats going on in safe mode?

FallenGuardian

FallenGuardian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
k, didn't really know what I was looking at, but wow does it look like a mess :tazz:

Attached Files